Chapter 37: The Dark Prince

A few days have passed since Chase and I staked out at the Mountains of Division. It was a trifling battle. Snarks and other wild creatures had found us and began to attack us as well. Chase did an amazing job trying to keep us out of trouble, and from the animal's jaws. The real challenge was fighting off the cold. It was freezing here. It was always snowing here with constant nights of blizzards and ice. Luckily Chase was prepared because he had his pack. It's taken us as far as we had because it was given by the Mad Hatter.

However, my power decided to come out and into the open for the first time. It was uncontrollable and wild, just like my emotions. I couldn't properly harness it. I can't control it. It burst out of nowhere and now it's just getting worse and worse. It was destructive and brutal coming out by the slightest inconvenience of a snark or any jubjubs, or especially not the jabberwocky. The animals have either fled or were killed. I felt horrible. There was no bone in my body that wanted to kill anything. I couldn't imagine actually hurting someone, especially not Chase.

That part freaked me out. The mere thought of losing control and accidentally lashing it out on him. . . I could hurt him. Why would he forgive me for something like that if he survived it? He would hate me. I would hate me.

"I've never seen you look so despondent." Chase pointed out of the blue. I looked up at him from my thoughts brought back to reality.

Shivering in the cold, my lips trembled to respond. "I'm just cold is all."

"Let's get back inside." Chase said while I nodded in agreement with a jitter. My teeth wouldn't stop chattering in the windy snow. There was no feeling in my feet when I stood. Everything was numb.

Chase unzipped the tent letting me step inside first as he got in behind me and zipping it back up. There wasn't much except a few blankets, two pillows, a little pile of uneaten food, and a lit lantern. The space was small but it wasn't terrible. It was roughly similar to my prison cell. It fit both of us well comfortably. It fought off the snow, but definitely not the baltic weather.

It was probably around mid-afternoon. There was no telling. Time felt irrelevant. Days would pass and it would only feel like hours. Days felt shorter. Exhaustion was clearly within me. A nap was in order. It felt needed. That's all we ever wanted to do now was sleep to pass the time, especially since it's so cold and there wasn't much food to get us by. We needed supplies. We needed a fire. The numbness in my fingers didn't make things easier for me.

Pulling the cloak tighter around my shoulders, my head turned to Chase seeing him adjust the lantern picking it up and hanging it from the center of the tent making it a little brighter in the dimness. His arms were shivering in the cold much like the rest of him. We were both trying to keep warm.

Chase took a seat beside me, huddling up next to me. The closeness made me blush as he purposely had ourselves nearly touching. He rubbed his hands together trying to bring warmth into them, but there was hardly any luck.

"If we freeze in this weather just drag my body off a cliff." I said as my head rested on his shoulder. He let out a deep sigh.

"We've got to find more firewood." Chase said sullenly. He was exhausted. We both were.

I sat my head up, peering over at him. "How? In this snow it's all wet and windy."

We both sighed, leaning back on each other. Chase grabbed the blanket and put it around us, huddling in close as he took one end and I had the other. The only thing that was warm was my blushing cheeks and my beating heart. He was so close to me. We were like penguins huddling for warmth. Chase had his eyes closed, trying to get warm beside me. I could see his foggy breath foaming from his slightly parted lips. They were irresistibly smooth and soft. I wanted to touch them.