Chapter 29: Nightmares

The unicorn. . .

The lion. . .

Two great, fearless creatures who were both wild and dangerous. They all said he could never catch up to his wife, even the king said it himself, the father of the next supposed-to-be queen in line. The king was always amused by them. The two lively creatures who fought bravely. They were always in a battle. A battle of war. But unbeknownst to the king, he thought it was a silly game to fight for the crown. He didn't know it was his they were after.

And they had. The unicorn and the lion turned from their own selfish ways and banded together, putting both of their strength and wit together. They had finished their delicious plum cake over a small conversation, banding their wits together to attack and take what they wanted all along. My father's crown.

Witnessing it in front of me was horrific. Sprawled in the field and all I could see was white hair tossed around like cotton fuzz, and the rest was red. Everywhere on the grass was red much like the roses in my aunts' garden. His dark blue eyes were dull and lifeless. His face showed his fear and expressed he was screaming with all the pain of his body being engulfed and digested, but the screams were silent like a leaf falling from a tree.

The only sound came from my own, my throat sore from the shouting, and it continued. All I could hear is what came from my own voice. The pain, the horror, the scariest thing ever for a child to see. It scarred me forever.

Minding my own business to find my father as to join him on his adventures through the morning. He was waiting for me like he did every single morning. It was the one thing we had always done together. We bonded over the long talks, the quiet mornings and the beautiful land that we called to be our own. It was wonderful. It was magical. Any where that my father was, was where I was as well. He was the most important person in my life.

It was a life lived short. I was only a child, a mere adolescent who didn't even know any better. Walking out from the castle and into the playing field, there was no expectancy to see my father completely deranged, covered in his own blood and parts everywhere, disfigured, swallowed by the two monstrous beasts of the forest. . .

I woke up in a cold sweat. It's been two days already. It keeps happening. I'd have the same nightmare since that conversation with Chase and it brought back all those memories I had suppressed. The third night had been the worst. Waking up in a pant, a cold sweat, and my body shaking on the floor on the little cot I had. It uncomfortable, but it was better than the carpet.

No matter what, I wasn't going to let Chase take up the floor for a month just so I could have a bed. I didn't really care, but there was no thought process to how uncomfortable it was actually going to be. It wasn't an exceptional bed, but it was better than nothing at all.

Another restless night, I thought. I couldn't keep doing this. I wasn't getting enough sleep. At first it wasn't enough food, which I could care less about. Sleeping was my natural medicine. So losing it became the real problem. I didn't know how much longer I could go on.

Sitting up in the bed, my cold, sweaty hands kneaded through my hair to try and relax. I looked over at the bed Chase was sound asleep in, sleeping peacefully away. He hasn't noticed I was awake. Not like he would, he's a heavy sleeper. Moving toward the desk not too far from where I was sleeping, I picked up the pen and wrote a large X over the third day of me being here on his calendar. He was letting me keep track of the days until the Red Queen's birthday.

It hasn't been entirely bad. I had Chase to talk to and keep me company. However, that left the nightmares to haunt me while I slept, disrupting my sleep and causing me to not get any for another night. It was exhausting. I was so tired. But the more I tried to sleep, the more came back the haunting of my father's murder. As if seeing it for the first time wasn't traumatic enough, the nightmares returned to haunt my dreams.