Chapter 38: A Spot of Cream

Enoch showed us around his home. I had no idea that he was a prince. Not only that but the prince of the darkness. I rescued the crabbin' prince. My mom tried to kill him! What would that have done between our kingdoms? It would've brought us to war. We don't have an army to fight them. We had the white knight, but even the knight wouldn't be able to fight them all.

But now everything was changing for the better. I've united the mountain of divisions with my homeland. All that was left was to sign a peace treaty between us and we would be set. My father would love this. He would be so proud. We're finally making peace with one another. And it was all because I happened to find Enoch trapped in a cage in the dungeons. It wasn't my fault that the key was by the door to easily let him go. The only thing about that was remembering that brief moment with him.

"What's your name?" I asked the boy across from me. He was stuck behind bars while hiding his cries behind his sniffles. He looked about my age.

"I'm Enoch." He said wiping the tears from his eyes. "Are you an angel?"

I giggled delightfully. "Wouldn't that be fun!"

"Can you get me out?" said Enoch desperately. "They're gonna kill me!"

"Who?" I asked the boy. He was panicking all over again. He breathed heavily with wide eyes in fear. A smile broke through my frown hoping to cheer the boy up. However, the child had other things on his mind.

"T-the Queen!" He said quickly. "She knows what I am. She thinks I'm a monster! Please, don't let her kill me. I'm not ready to die."

"You stress too much, buddy." I said with a shake of my head and a giggle. I skipped to the set of keys by the door and picked it up skipping back to the boy and unlocking the door. "There you go. You're free, Enoch!"

"Thank you!" was muffled into my chest from the boy throwing himself at me in a hug. Footsteps were approaching. Enoch gasped, disappearing as he fled the scene before anyone could catch him. Down came my mother with the executioner as they approached the empty cage. My hands hid behind my back where the key was in my palm. She already knew. She facepalmed, obviously aggravated.

"Again, Isabella?" She snarled. She picked me up by the wrist getting me to my feet as she pried the key out of my hand. I winced, pulling away to no avail. "Oh heavens, child. Stay out of it! You don't get to choose who lives or dies! That's my job! You should know better!"

"He's a kid, Momma!" I fought back tears.

"He's dangerous! He could've killed you!" My mother barked back angrily.

"How would you know?" I shouted. "All you do is judge them! You don't even know him! He was nice to me, Momma. He's just like August. He's just a little different. That's what makes him special."

"He's a monster, Isabella!" My mother shouted.

"He's a person! You're the only monster!"

My cheek stung. I looked up at her with fear in my eyes for the first time. She hit me? She hadn't done that before. It was new and fresh, just like the stinging on my cheek where it hurt.

"No, Isabella." She shook her seething head. "You'll never understand. Monsters hurt and kill and destroy. What do you think I've protected you from? Grow up, Isabella. You'll never learn. Nobody is to be trusted. Not even yourself."

I shook my head from my memories. I glanced back at Enoch who guided us through his home. He looks so much happier now. Could I be as happy as him someday?