Chapter 36: Into the Unknown

Leaving the Mad Hatter's home, Chase and I said goodbye to Aella before going to grab our horses. We were nice as we gave our farewells to the beautiful stranger. Aella gave a twiddle of a wave and a wink to him alone which definitely gained his attention making him blush but making me agitated once again. I tugged Chase by the arm, pulling him along to get going as he led us both to the door from whence we came.

I let out a breath of air in the dusty space, gathering myself already in a much better mood. Chase gathered some supplies from the room such as some food and some heavy gear to help on our journey. I stepped up to my horse Asfaloth, taking him by the reigns as I helped him out of the crawl space. Chase took Pepper Jack and guided him well after me, entering into the broad daylight.

"Here." Chase said sweetly from behind me.

I looked over at Chase where I quickly felt his arms around my waist, hoisting me up easily over my horse. The heat in my face was hot as he gave me a delightful smile before turning to Pepper Jack. He hopped on his horse, before taking the reigns and backing up in reverse toward me.

I fell silent, not knowing what to say except blush tremendously. Chase delivered a sweet smile to his lips that put ease to my mind.

"So we're gonna stake out at the mountain of division, I guess." Chase didn't sound happy about it. Neither was I.

"Are you sure there isn't another place where there aren't any monsters or snow?" I said with a pout, clearly showing the signs of disinterest. I don't wanna go to Mount Jubjub!

He thought for a moment. "It would have to be somewhere they wouldn't expect. Some place they wouldn't check to find. . . I've got it! Nowhere."

"Excuse me?" I asked. My head tilted as my eyes squinted in confusion. "You want us to go nowhere at all or the brook Nowhere in my LGL (Looking Glass Land)? You've got to be more specific."

Chase chuckled before pulling out a rolled piece of parchment from his pouch on the horse's flank connected to the saddle. He unrolled the scroll and studied it closely. His brows furrowed as his eyes scanned it with his finger following the page.

"Aha!" He pointed triumphantly, his finger dotting a spot before turning the whole thing in front of me. "Here!" He pointed at the gateway to my home of the Looking Glass Lands. "We'll pass through Tulgey Wood and to the Guarded Way. There we can go to the Queen's retreat or the Manor considering it's the only thing we won't be trespassing, ya know, since it's yours."

I gave him a dead stare. "You know the curse has already been affected on my homeland. It's all gone. Nothing but the brooks."

"Oh, that's not good." Chase said. I sighed along with him, trying to figure out where to go. "Looks like it's the Mountains of Division after all."

I groaned, not liking it. But nonetheless, it didn't look like there was another option. I tried to think of where we could go instead, but there wasn't a place we wouldn't have gotten caught or captured. Then, I had a thought. A place I've forgotten.

"What about Snark Island?" I said deep in thought. Chase shot up in a jolt.

"Do you know how dangerous that is?" Chase said in a panic. "Do you know how many evil things are out there? Don't mention that they may look all strange and smell all nice but that doesn't mean anything. The rest of the creatures here are crazy, what makes snarks any different?"

I shrugged. "I don't know. That sounds kinda prejudice, don't you think?"

"I don't know. . . let's just get going." Chase said. I took off after him, matching his pace. There were thoughts that brought back the conversations between Aella. How she spoke to us, or even me in particular, there was an uncomfortable feeling in my heart. I glanced up at Chase, a soft blush to my cheeks as I couldn't help but think of the possibility. It made me smile.