Chapter 35: Down to the Bone

We rode around for a moment, figuring out where we were going. We got further away from the guards. I pulled the reigns of my horse, coming to a stop by a fork in the crossroad. Chase stopped too, completely exhilarated by the chase.

"Where to, Chase?" I asked, turning my head over toward him. His eyes averted in each direction, trying to come up with a plan.

"This way!" He pointed in the direction, and we took off again. We were heading in the opposite direction of where we were and more toward the old tea shoppe that belonged to the Mad Hatter. I found it odd we were going in that direction unless we were going further in that direction.

I didn't think we were going in that particular way. But when we got closer toward the abandoned Mad Hatter Manor, Chase slowed down at the place, jumping off quickly. I followed suit, following him on the roundabouts of my old friend's home. It hasn't been vacant in years.

"What are we doing here?" I asked him.

He let out a shaky breath, "Hiding, for now."

He was holding onto the ropes of Pepper Jack's reigns as we both guided our horses to the far end of the Manor, hiding them in a crawl space behind the building. It was basically just a room full of herbal teas and spices with large bags of baking goods for cooking their pastries and pies. It smelled nice. It brought back a lot of old memories.

"They can hang out in here." Chase said about our horses before making his way through the mess. "We can go upstairs. There's medical supplies and food stocked so you can stay here safely without being caught. It's too dangerous to stay at the Red Queen's castle anymore. You'll be safer here."

"I hate hiding." I pouted as I followed him up the creaky staircase. It was weird and hard to see, leaving little light through the dust and darkness.

Chase glanced back at me. "I know, Iz. But it's our only option right now. We have to keep you safe and away from the Queen of Hearts. I. . . I can't let anything happen. I can't lose you. You're too important."

"Chase, no, I'm —"

"You don't get it!" He snapped loudly, startling me for a second as he grabbed my attention, his hands steadying on my shoulders. "You're too important to me, Iz! I. . . I can't lose you again. I just can't. I. . . I need you safe, okay?"

My heart fluttered with the strangest feeling in my chest. My heart raced with my face feeling hot. I heard a thump. I panicked, feeling my heart sink as I grasped on the closest thing next to me.

"What was that?" I said fearfully, my legs trembling underneath me as I felt the warmth of Chase beside me, my hand found wrapped around his sleeve around his bicep.

"I'm not sure." Chase said. "Let's keep moving."

He continued to move forward with me following closely behind him still grasping onto his sleeve as we made it up the stairs. He opened the squeaky wooden door before making it into the direct light. I had to close my eyes because of the blinding lights that soaked through the torn curtains in front of the windows. I adjusted my eyes, looking over at Chase who was determining which way to go. There was another thump that almost sounded like footsteps causing me to panic in fear even more so. My grip tightened.

"Ouch!" Chase said who pulled away from me. My face rushed scarlet, staring at him anxiously. It was so quiet until that moment. He rubbed at his arm where I pinched him accidentally.

"I'm so sorry!" I said quickly feeling my heart in my throat, feeling terrible if I actually hurt him. "Are you okay? I-I didn't mean to! Are you hurt? It was totally an accident, I'm so sorry!"