Chapter 40: The Lighthouse

Hi everyone! Just wanted to apologize for the long wait. Thank you for being so patient I've been trying to get a lot done. I hope you're all still enjoying the book and like it still as it progresses.

Chapter 40: The Lighthouse

Sadly, Chase and I had left the ballroom knowing this was our last night at the dark kingdom in the divisions. The night had ended worse than I had anticipated. Frankly, it was fun too. Before my body decided to turn into a monster against me and have me ruin the night for everyone else. That wasn't quite so fun.

My thoughts went back to Damon. How things ended. How I reacted. I didn't want to think about it. Accident or not, I ended someone's life. I really did become the bad guy. Even if he was, it was no excuse for me to act the same. I became a monster.

I couldn't stop thinking about it. I couldn't control my powers. I couldn't stop myself. Not even the restraints could. Just like in chess I was unbeatable. I was always one step ahead. No one has ever won against me. My cleverness, or my plain luck was always on top of the game. How did me being the daughter of chess lead to a princess of light anyway? Where did that even come from? Who was this person that heard about this prophet? And how the heck does every single person practically know about this except me? Man, it's like this one big secret hidden from me this whole time.

No wonder no one liked me. I'm some kind of light person-thing! I'm either going to blow up and get someone killed or become this harmonious light being of goodness and life. Now does my life sound Mary Sue or is this a joke?

Chase reached the door of his bedroom reaching out to turn the knob. He hesitated, pulling away. His head shifted to me ever so slightly. All that was seen was worry and concern. His brows furrowed with a little frown to his cheeks.

"Are you okay, Iz?" Chase asked me. "You've had a really exhausting night. Would you like to come in?"

My eyes met his. How could he be so content with everything? He seemed so calm. It wasn't bothering him as much as it was to me. However, he always asked about my feelings and how things were with me. It was refreshing knowing he always cares to check on me, even if things were sometimes decent every once in a while.

"I'd like that, thank you." I said with a short nod. There wasn't much to say. My body was exhausted and completely overwhelmed. Everything was overwhelming. So much has happened in the past few hours. My body is struggling to keep up with it all. It has prevailed way too much. That's all it's ever been. My whole life has endured more than I could handle, yet I've always tried to make the best of things.

Chase led me inside his bedroom as he had opened the door for me. I gave a quick smile at the gesture before taking a seat on the carpet since the only other place was the bed. For some reason Chase was not having that.

"We can talk after you change." Chase said before throwing me a pair of his sweats as he ushered me into his washroom. I stripped out of the dress that now had newly singed ends. That's sad. Such a beautiful dress was now ruined. Putting on Chase's clothes, I inhaled deeply into his shirt where it smelled just like him putting my mind at ease. It was my favorite scent. It calmed my nerves and brought me back to my senses with peace in my mind, but the wavering thoughts of earlier returned.

I left the bathroom and went over to go sit on the bed. Chase patted the spot insisting I sit there so I did next to him. The moment was silent between us. Chase had changed as well as he was no longer in his matching suit but instead a pair of sweats and a black tank top. He scooted over more toward me, pulling me into him where I was practically sitting on top of him with my head on his chest.

"Talk to me. Tell me what happened." Chase said calmly. His hand stroked through my hair. I couldn't tell if it was because he likes playing with my hair or what, but it was soothing.