Chapter 8: Mother Dearest

The next day, Bunny had been bickering since we woke up about where I had been all night. I only did then finally tell her that I went on a date. She was in complete shock when the words came out of my mouth. Still, it wasn't exactly a date. I was just helping him out.

Throughout the entire day she was mad at me all because she wanted me to tell her everything. Can't I keep some secrets to myself? Not like it was a big deal, but it's not like she needs to know everything.

I spent my Sunday morning mostly just hanging out in the enchanted forest finding wild black berries and eating them. I wasn't bothered as I focused on my own thing. The blackberries tasted amazing as they were grown wild here in the forest. I couldn't believe something tasted so sweet.

I walked back to the school and headed towards my dorm to grab Dexter's jacket that he offered me on the date. I couldn't just keep it even if it did smell wonderful. I walked all over school and everywhere on campus, but he wasn't to be seen anywhere. It was frustrating to me because my feet were starting to ache. I really should exercise more. This is getting ridiculous. Or perhaps maybe some more comfortable shoes instead of some high heels.

I decided to forget about returning the jacket for now and just walk over to the dorms where Lizzie's room was. I had to catch up with her since I've been gone for so long. I walked up to her room and knocked. There wasn't much of an answer so I walked inside.

Immediately, I saw Lizzie sewing up a dress in the corner of her room. I slowly made my way towards her as I examined her work. She had a red and black dress with yellow tiles as if it was a chess board. Her eyes flickered in my direction and jumped in fright because I was so close. She released her foot from the pedal and turned off the machine.

"Iz! How long were you standing there?" She questioned. I could tell that her heart was still pounding hard due to the nervousness she showed in her emotions.

"Just for a second." I answered. "I love the dress you're making. It's becoming quite beautiful if I say so myself."

"Thank you, Izzy." She beamed happily as she began to come at ease. "So, what brings you here?"

"I just thought that we could hang out together for old time's sake." I smiled. Lizzie's grin faltered into a frown. Oh no. I don't know if I was going to like what she was going to say.

"I'm so sorry, Izzy. I'm busy at the moment as you can see. Maybe some other time?" She offered as she looked at me hopefully. My smile lowered.

"Yeah, maybe." I muttered. "Well, I don't want to distract you from your work. You should get to it. Good luck, Liz!" And with that, I had walked out of the door and closed it behind me. I sighed heavily as my shoulders slouched in an ungraceful manor.

Even here in Ever After I couldn't be with her. Was our destiny really taking its toil on us now? She's my best female friend forever after. I didn't want that to happen. I couldn't let her leave me. But, that isn't my decision to make. I couldn't fix this since Lizzie wants her destiny to happen, and I didn't want to ruin it for her. She wants her destiny to happen, and I don't. We're apart of the same storyline.

So, would that mean that I couldn't be her friend anymore? It would seem like it since her destiny is either more important than mine. She had the bigger end of the story of how she would effect Alice, so I couldn't make her not pay her end of the deal. I couldn't be a burden to that.

Supposedly, I would guess it's settled. I can't be Lizzie's friend anymore. Not until this all blows over, or she doesn't want to have her life after her mother's, which is unlikely. My best friend, my cousin, is supposed to be my enemy. I didn't like the way it was placed, but I had to leave it be for Lizzie. For her sake.