Chapter 42: Wonders

Chapter 42: Wonders

Climbing down the ladder to the bedroom below, my feet plant on the cold floor beneath my toes. Chase still wasn't back in the room yet. Taken into consideration from what he told me earlier, it was best to give him some space. We both need it. I couldn't think of what else to tell him at this point. Not like it would do any good to tell him of the two-headed raven. It was strange getting that let alone what it said about him. Out of everything that bird said, it told me that. How could it know anything about that?

Never the matter, it isn't important. There's more crucial things at hand such as meeting with the Red Queen in a little over a week. Today's the twentieth. The Red Queen's birthday is the twenty-eighth. It was almost time. I had to be ready. There shouldn't be any distractions over silly boys and feelings. Besides, getting entangled with him at a chapter like this. . . it would be dreadful. Rancor from the Red Queen knew my place with her to be that unwanted family member. She always felt resentment toward me.

But who's to say that it's really her fault? She had every right to feel that way toward me even if I am her niece. We were too different. You would think that to be a good thing as a Wonder. We all were. Maybe it was just that I was the one who's too wondrous for her taste. Who's to know?

Certainly, there was no way I was close to understanding anything. Things weren't clear to me at all. It was like a fog blurring the whole truth of the matter. There was something hidden. Chase was luckily doing more research if he was ever to find anything that would be helpful. My mother surely was not. What a disappointment to think she would have grown up a bit and acted more maturely. She wasn't the slightest bit helpful and a complete waste speaking with her despite the little help she offered. To imagine as a mother she'd be less bitter toward me would be lovely. But after all this time I've realized what her biggest fear was.

Me.

No wonder she is the way she is. There wasn't an understanding for her completely reasoning as to why, but there was a hunch that it had part to do with my existence on what exactly my destiny is. She had to know everything. Part of why she didn't tell me the truth was because she didn't know what I'd do with the information. She knows me. She raised me. My mother treated me like I was a monster. She was wrong, of course, but it still hurt.

She definitely could've raised me better, but it looks like it's too late for the rest of her part. And that is completely fine. Still, it would be nice to know if she actually shows just a little bit of love toward me. Her daughter. . . I wanted to love her. She was there when my father died. She got over it surprisingly quicker than those expected. Everyone was there to see him and to see how she did not shed a single tear during the service. Watching his crown float along down the ocean with his remains was depressing. It was the first time we were all together for once. That gave me little hope.

I caught myself completely zoned out. My eyes were fixated on the crackling of the painted stone walls completely unaware that I was trapped in my own thoughts. To good surprise Chase didn't catch me. There was no telling how long he'd be nor telling how long he's been down there. Instead of focusing on that, my attention drew over toward an easel, two blank portraits perfectly lined on it with a stack of paint on the side. Finding myself intrigued with a brilliant idea, my first instinct was to grab the paint and the supplies and set everything up.

Yellow, white, green, blue, purple, and red paint are squeezed from a bottle onto a walnut palette. A tiny paintbrush dotted into the white and yellow paint creating a pretty beige mixed in with the rest to create a perfect color of a pinkish-white resembling a humanistic skin color. Smiling to myself, I swirl the paintbrush onto the canvas to begin to paint. The perfect image was in mind as I got down to work putting together a masterpiece.