=Chapter 1=

My name is Sylwanin. I was named after my mother's sister. A beautiful and fierce woman.

I am the daughter of two great warriors. The daughter of Jake Sully. A man who was once human that learned to breathe and live as one of the people. He was Toruk Makto. Rider of the last shadow. When the people faced destruction he rallied them, fought against the sky people, and with the blessing of Eywa he won. 

I am daughter of Neytiri te Tskaha Mo'at'ite. She fought and protected her people. A great warrior and a kind mother.

Among the Na'vi twins are a rare thing. So when I was born minutes after my brother there was a great celebration. The na'vi believe that children who share the same womb have a deep connection unlike any other between them. It was true to a point. Growing up Loak and I were stuck to each other like glue. We both shared our father's temper. I however was blessed with my mother's wisdom. Which resulted in the fact that I knew how to control my temper. 

I loved my family deeply. Their faults and flaws. I was patient and on good terms with each of my siblings. Which often meant I was the peacekeeper between them. Now Kiri and Loak that was an interesting pair. They were always at each other throat's. But what siblings weren't? Neteyam tried to keep the peace but would often fail and Tuk. Well, she was just sweet and oblivious to it all.  

I grew up well, loved, and protected. I even befriended the scientist. 

Norm one of the humans would often say I had the best part of both my parents. I was a troublemaker when I was little though. Father called me a nosy nelly. I always wanted to know what was going on. I would often hang off my parent and ask a million questions for one simple task. When I learned all I could from my parents I looked elsewhere. I learned what humans called mathematics and science. 

I understood most of it, it was almost like a set of rules their world followed. I learned that fire wasn't just a beast of mass destruction but a physical or chemical reaction.

Norm would often be baffled at my understanding of things. Muttering something along the lines of.

"It took me a six-year science degree and she gets in a month flat," 

Norm was my favorite human. So skinny and tiny.

My father said my head would grow too big with all the information I stored in it. Grandmother however nurtured it. She wanted me to become a storyteller. The storytellers of our tribe would learn and remember all the songs from the very first of all time. They were charged with safeguarding our history.

My life however took me on a different path. I had the fighting spirit of both my parent.

I became a warrior.

I was the youngest to become such. I even became a warrior before my eldest brother. My skill with a bow was not to be trifled with. My skill with a gun is more so. 

I had shown an interest in the earth from a young age. My father taught me all he knew from the faraway star. He also taught me to fight. 

He called it Marine combat. A fancy word for fighting with your fists. 

I had gotten so good that I had managed to beat my father. Granted it was during a celebration when he had had a fair bit to drink. But I still claim the victory. I could however beat my brothers in any fight. I could even beat them when they had ganged up on me once.

Two years ago I had performed the dream hunt. I had earned my place amongst the people. We no longer carved our bows from home tree. Instead, we find a tree that has recently fallen. We carve our bow from it and in exchange, we plant its seed and nurture it till it grows. The grove where our once sacred trees were is slowly started to be filled once again.

Sitting in front of my mother I looked over my grandfather's bow. 

She always told me it was her duty to protect the people. And that is exactly what we were about to do. My hair was long. Many little braids hung in a loop before joining the rest at the back of my head. The top half was however pulled back into a half ponytail much like my mother's. She bound the last braid in place before walking around and squatting down in front of me. 

"Are you frightened?" she asked softly. I shook my head clearing my throat. She smiled as she saw right through me. 

"You have a strong heart," she said placing her hand over my heart which was beating erratically.

"You are the daughter of Toruk Makto. You are mighty. You will be fine," she said cupping my cheek with a loving smile. My father was a great man, and a hard one to live up to. 

"I worry, for you and dad," I admitted honestly. Smiling she leaned forward and place a kiss on my forehead.

"We will be fine, I promise," she said.

"Girls take forever getting ready," We both looked to the side where Loak stood with Neteyam and my dad who smirked at Loak's remark. My father was painted in blue and black war paint a gun hanging off his shoulder. 

"Says the one who took the whole morning to paint his face," I shot back this time earning a laugh from my mother and Neteyam.

"Skxawng," Loak huffed in embarrassment. I smirked getting up and walking out into the cave system we now called home. Well, home base. Tucked away in one of the halleluiah mountains we lived. The humans couldn't find us up here. Their machines simply didn't work well enough. 

As we prepared our ikran's I walked over to my brothers. Gingerly reaching out I took them by the necks pulling them in to press our foreheads to each other.

"My eywa protect you both," I whispered.

"You're our little sister. Well be protecting you," Loak said but hugged me back nonetheless.

"Clam sister. All will be fine," Neteyam said grabbing the back of my neck. I nodded taking a deep breath calmed by his reassuring smile. 

"My eywa will it," I whispered. Pulling them tightly once more I walked over to my ikran. 

Oogi was his name. He was slightly bigger than the others. He was a beautiful mix of sunset colors. 

"Calm Oogi," I whispered as I connected our queue. Making sure my saddle was strapped in properly I swung myself up. 

"Let's go!" My father called out. Taking a deep breath I shared my will with Oogi and we slowly tipped off the edge. I loved flying. I would spend all my time in the sky if I could. The feeling of the wind rushing through my hair. The pull on my stomach as I quickly changed directions. And the sky, each day a different scene just as beautiful as the last. Pulling down my wind visor I tried to calm my breathing.

This was the first mission father allowed us to go on. I planned to do everything I could to make sure it went smoothly. Even if we were just the lookouts. Hearing the excited war cry of my family I let out one of my own holding my bow high up in the air. 

============================================================