=Chapter 31=

After our kiss, we stood in each other's embrace simply enjoying the fact that we were together.

"So shall we go for a fly?" Aonung asked.

"I don't think Oogi will be able to carry us both anymore," I chuckled.

"You are not the only one with a flying beast now," he grinned walking backward and dropping into the water. I searched the water as a fast blur came by picking Aonung up. And a bit away a skimwing erupted from the water, Aonung on its back looked back with a smile. Quickly calling Oogi I quickly caught up to him. 

It was fun, flying like we always used to. I kept close to the water playfully teasing Aonung and almost throwing his off balance. Then we settled down at the cove looking up at the stars. Aonung sat propped up on a rock with me sitting between his legs my back pushed flush against his stomach as his arms encased me. One around my waist the other around my shoulders. Even sitting he was still much taller than me his chin resting atop my head ducking down occasionally to press his cheek to the side of my temple. We hadn't moved from that position since we got there. We simply needed to feel each other's embrace. We had been talking for hours. Talking like no time had passed between us. And it felt like none had. We were as much in love as we were when we parted. 

"So what else has happened?" I asked smiling. 

"A lot. How about I sing it to you?" he asked softly. I paused as I took in his words. He was offering to sing his song cord. It's something only you do for family members and mates.

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Positive. But you can't look at me when I do. I'll get embarrassed," he said trying to sound cool and collected but I could hear the nerves in his voice. 

"But you only do that for," I whispered.

"I know," he said. I wanted to see his face so much. To see his expression. 

"Alright, but then I must sing mine," I said.

"Promise you won't laugh," he said. I looked down at his arms encasing me reaching up to give them a  reassuring squeeze.

"Never," I whispered. He pulled one hand from our embrace taking out his song cord and holding it out in front of me. And he started to sing. The song of his life. From his birth to this very day. He had a beautiful deep voice, calming and strong. I loved it. 

He worked his way down the song cord telling me things of his life that very few people knew. He sang of our meeting. Of the moment he came to care for me. For his longing to see me. Of his joy when we reunited. I sat and listened. Then he finished. 

"Who knew the fish boy could sing," I smiled as he chuckled his nerves leaving him in an instant.

"Well I'm not a boy anymore," he grinned. Oh, I know. I could feel his abb's under my back.

"Then it's my turn?" I asked. He returned his arms around me as I took out mine.

And I sang of my life. The good, the bad, and the in-between. Of meeting Aonung and of my time away. My fingers fell on the end of my song cord. To sing a song cord to someone was a deeply emotional and trusting thing. It signified a bond, unlike any other. As I sang my tail wrapped around his waist sending pleasant tingles along the skin.

"I'm still missing a few beads. Haven't gotten around to them," I said.

"Well you're going to add another bead soon," he said.

"And whys that?" I asked leaning my head into his neck. His grip tightened as he worked up the courage.

"You'll have to add one when you become my betrothed," he said simply. My eyes widened as I spun around in his embrace his hands falling to my waist. On his face sat that same bashful expression only this time there were nerves mixed into it. 

"What are you saying?" I asked shakily. I knew what he was hinting at but I wanted to make sure. Reaching up he cupped my cheek.

"I want you to be my mate Sylwanin. I want to share my life with you," he said wholeheartedly.

"These years apart. They have been the worst in my life. I need you by my side. I need you," he whispered. I started looking over his face processing his words.

"Wouldn't there be better," He silenced me with a sweet deep kiss.

"There is no other woman for me," he whispered simply. A warm smile spread across my face, the biggest and brightest Aonung had ever seen. 

"So you chose me? Scars and all?" I asked.

"Scars and all forest girl," he said brushing his thumb across my cheek. I light laugh of pure joy spilled from my lips as I pressed our foreheads together. His eyes flickered over my face nervously waiting for that final word of confirmation. 

"I would love nothing more than to be your mate Aonung," I whispered. With my closed eyes, I didn't see how his face lit up like the sun at my acceptance of his proposal. My eyes did however snap open when he let out an excited cry.

"TAAAHOOOO!" he yelled in excitement jumping to his feet and picking me up along with him. I laughed as he spun me around in excitement. Aonung heart was filled with unbridled joy. I had accepted him as my mate. 

"Aonung! Put me down!" I pushed the words out through laughs. He did eventually taking my face into his hands and showering me with kisses.

"Aonung," I chuckled.

"Sylwanin, you bring me my greatest joy," he said honestly my chuckle died off as I stared at him.

"You are my greatest joy," I whispered reaching up to hold his cheek. He was still breathing fast from the excitement as he placed his hand over mine turning to kiss it. He was my greatest joy at that moment. I had never felt happier in all my life. He wanted me to be his mate. His forever partner. 

"Come, we must tell our parents so we can begin the rituals," He said taking my hand and pulling me away. Our parents.

"Oh no," I whispered.

"What? What is it?" he asked.

"My father," I whispered. My father had been strictly against Aonung and I before I left.

"Oh right," he whispered knowingly.

"Then I must do it perfectly. How do humans mate?" he asked seriously. I blushed hard knowing it meant a different thing to humans.

"First of all, you don't use that word. You use the word marry," I said. His face contorted in confusion.

"Marry?" he asked the English word sounding weird on his lips.

"It's like choosing a mate just a bit more formal," I tried to explain but I could see by his confused gaze that I wasn't doing a good job. 

"Then how do I marry you?" he asked.

"That's the part you're not going to like," I whispered.

============================================================