=Chapter 32=

And he didn't like it. Not one bit.

"I still think it's stupid," Aonung huffed as we walked through the village. 

"Yes well most humans are," I said smiling at his little tantrum.

"Why should it be your father's decision to who you mate with?" he asked.

"Rember," I started.

"Yes remember not to say, mate. But still," he huffed. I paused to turn to him.

"Aonung I will be your mate no matter what my father says, I just would like to believe he will accept this for me," I whispered. With a frustrated breath, he nodded.

"Very well," he muttered. I smiled getting on my tip toes and pulling his hand down to kiss his cheek. 

"Thank you," I whispered as he smiled through his frown. 

"Alright let's gather our families," he said. I nodded squeezing his hand as we went opposite ways. I had only gone one step as he pulled me back by my hand. Turning back to him he stole a quick kiss and grinned before walking off. Gathering my family was harder than I thought but once I did I dragged them all to the chief's hut where Aonung and his family stood. Tsireya and Loak instantly went to each other's side both with knowing smiles. 

"What is this about Sylwanin? Is there more you wish to tell us?" Tonowari asked. I took a deep breath as all attention once again turned to me. Only this time Aonung walked up to my side taking my hand. He gave me a comforting smile squeezing my hand as he turned to talk.

"Sylwanin and I are betrothed," he stated proudly. Tsireya let out an excited scream as she rushed forward hugging us both. I chuckled hugging her back.

"I am so happy for you both," she squeezed us tightly. 

"Thank you sister," Aonung said. Loak was next giving me a tight hug. He then turned to Aonung pressing his lips together before offering his hand. The two shook hands and both squeezed as hard as they could. Kiri was quick to congratulate me hugging me tightly. Tuk gagged with a roll of her eyes. Then it came to our parents. My mother smiled brightly as she watched the scene but my father crossed his arms over his chest with an extremely pissed-off expression. 

Aonung noticed this. Clearing his throat he walked up to my father.

"Sir, Sylwanin has told me of your human customs. So I ask you now for permission to marry your daughter," Aonung said briefly glancing at me to see if he had said it properly. 

"What if I say no?" Dad asked.

"Jake," mother scolded him slightly but he was having none of it. 

"With all respect Jake Sully. I love your daughter. And I will become her mate. Because it is her decision, not yours," I wanted to smack my forehead at Aonungs stubbornness. Yet to my surprise, my father didn't say anything. They both stared each other down dad hating the fact that Aonung was taller.

"You love this jackass?" he asked nodding to Aonung. I looked at Aonung and smiled warmly. Dad had seen that smile before. He had seen it in himself whenever he looked at mother.

"With all my heart," I said. Aonung turned to me smiling brightly.

"Fine," he huffed. Mother smiled walking forward to hug me. 

"Congratulations," she whispered pressing a kiss to my forehead. I was surprised father had accepted it so quickly. He gave me a nod. A nod that meant he was happy for me.

"Thank you mother," I whispered. Ronal cleared her throat everyone turning to her. She wore an unreadable expression as she walked up to me. She looked over me studying me. Her hand reached up tracing the small glowing lights on my face. She then took out her tiny little knife from her headdress looking at my hands. She looked at the one with three fingers and then at the one with four. Taking the four-fingered hand she pricked my finger till it drew blood. Raising it to her lips she whipped the blood on her tongue. He thought putting her small pin knife away and circling me. She took my long braid and ran her hand down it.

"Mother, she has compelled the trials of a tsahik in training. She will do a fine job," Tsireya spoke up. So that's what she was doing. Testing to see If I would be a good Tsahik. She hummed as she pulled her hand back only for the end of my queue to wrap around her fingers. With another thoughtful hum, she returned to Tonowaris's side simply conveying her decision in her gaze. 

A warm smile stretched over Tonowari's face as he walked up to us both.

"We will start the preparation tomorrow," he said placing a hand on both our shoulders. Relief filled me as I smiled brightly.

"Well done son. You chose well," Tonowari said patting the side of Aonungs head and giving me a wink. Tonowari continued to talk but my attention was pulled to Ronal as she smiled the first warm smile I had ever seen in her. As soon as she was caught her smile faded back to her usual expression. 

"Thank you," I mouthed. She simply nodded. 

I thought that was the last of it. Boy was I wrong. As soon as Tonowari walked away horns were sounded and the villagers all gathered.

"My son has chosen his mate!" Tonawari yelled. The village exploded into celebration. There was dancing singing and drinking. And Aonung was beaming with pride and happiness. 

I was sitting on a log watching the dances when Ronal came and sat next to me.

"Tsahik," I nodded respectfully.

"Just because my son chose you as his mate does not mean you are worthy to be tsahik," she said. I had barely thought about the fact that I would be Tsahik. After all it wasn't set in stone that the mate of the chief would become such. If I was honest I expected Tsireya to become Tsahik. 

"I know, It takes many years of hard work," I said.

"You are not of the sea. It will be harder for you," to others it sounded like she was trying to defer me away from the idea. But I knew she was just trying to warn me. To make sure I knew what I was getting myself into.

"Ronal, you are a wise tsahik. When the time comes and if you think I am not ready I will respect your decision. But you must know I will try with all my might to live up to your expectations," I said.

"I have spoken as Tsahik, now I speak as a mother," she said grasping my hands.

"Protect my son's heart. For it holds more love than I have ever seen," she said. I smiled with a nod.

"I will protect it with my life," I said. "And you don't have to worry. I won't let it slip that you have a heart," I had said the joke before I realized it. I froze as I waited for her reaction. To my surprise, she let out a huff of a laugh the side of her lips pinching up slightly.

"Good," she said simply taking her hands back. Wait did she laugh at my joke?

"Sylwaning! Come dance!" Aonung called. I stood giving Ronal a respectful nod before running off to him.

============================================================