=Chapter 40=

Kiri was always known for her stubbornness. Mother even more so. Neither backed down. Father didn't talk much. He didn't completely agree with mother but he didn't completely agree with Spider as well. Due to the tense atmosphere, Tuk often spent her time with me. So it came as no surprise when she trailed behind me as we took baskets of food to Kiri and Spider. 

"Kiri, Spider," I called walking up to the secluded hut. Kiri briefly glanced at me before returning to the food she was making. Spider offered a forced smile as he walked up to us helping to take the basket.

"Thanks, guys," he murmured. I nodded moving over to Kiri my tail swishing in uncertainty. 

"How are you?" I asked softly crouching beside her.

"Is mother still mad?" she ignored my question.

"Yes, but Kiri it will take time. Neteyam was taken from us," I whispered reaching over to grasp her hand. She was silent for a moment as she fought the urge to cry. 

"But her other children are still here," Kiri whispered her eyes glinting with tears.

"Kiri," I murmured pulling her into a tight hug.

"There is a word for a child who loses a parent. But there is no word for a parent who loses a child. Because no word can describe the unbearable pain that it entails. You must give her time," I whispered pressing  my lips to her forehead. She held onto me tightly processing and understanding my words.

"Come on, you should eat. I got your favorite clams," I said moving to pull the basket closer.

"I don't feel like eating," she said dismissively gently shrugging off the hug. Nodding I moved back slightly.

"Well how about I cook us some,"

"Im fine Sylwanin," she huffed. I forced a smile gently giving her arm a squeeze.

"I know you're not. But if space you want, I will give it," I said softly. Looking over her once more I stood and gestured for Tuk to come.

Walking away from the hut I smiled seeing Aonung standing there spear in hand. He wore a frown that seemed to be settled on the hut. He didn't like me visiting Spider, not after what he had done. He knew he wouldn't change my mind however, so instead he settle for escorting me all the way there and back. 

"Don't frown so much. Your face will get stuck like that," I said gently poking the creased skin between his brows as I passed.

"I will frown as much as I wish when my wife is put in harm's way," he said following after me.

"I was in no such harm. Spider would never hurt me," I argued.

"You do not know that," he murmured. 

"And neither do you," I said definitively. 

"Sylwanin," he sighed. I hated when he did that. It was his trump card. The way he admitted defeat while simultaneously gaining the upper hand.

"Don't Sylwanin me," I huffed continuing to walk. Tuk smirked picking up her pace to walk abit ahead of us.

"That usually works," he whispered under his breath.

"So I guess when I ask you to stay away from him you will ignore my pleas?" he asked reaching out to gently tug my tail. He was unable to help the small smile that worked its way onto his face as it flickered out of his grasp. He already knew the answer.

"You know me so well," I smiled glancing over my shoulder. 

"hey," he said grabbing hold of my tail again, moving his hand up along it sending pleasant shivers down my spine his hand coming to rest on my hips. Hooking his finger in the strap of my tunic successfully halting my movement's. Tugging me beck I stumbled into his chest. I huffed keeping my eyes forward adamant to ignore the big lug standing behind me. For I knew as soon as i turned around to face him I would lose the argument. His fingers continued to trail around my hip over my stomach his hand coming to rest across my body to my opposites hip. Successfully trapping me to his chest.

"Do you truly believe your words?" he asked softly.

"I grew up with Spider. He is a kind person. He was prepared to lay down his life for Kiri. More than once. He had a knife to his throat and all he worried about was her," I explained.

"Then if you are sure," he whispered. I sighed turning around in his grasp resting a hand on his chest.

"No one can ever be truly sure. But I am as close as I can get," I said. He nodded in understanding giving into me. Pressing our forehead's together his thumb gently brushed my hip. I took him in for a few moments relishing the last moment of peace I would likely have that day. After all I had training with Ronal.

"I better get going. Your mother will skin me if I'm late again," I said gently pinching his chin between my fingers giving him a brief kiss before walking away.

"I'll see you this afternoon," he called after me with a wide smile.

Tsahik training had been harder than I expected. With my grandmother it was easy enough, after all when I did something wrong she would tell me what it was and correct me.

Ronal. She showed me once and instantly expected me to get it. 

"Wrong," I pressed my lips into a firm line pulling my hands back from Tsireya laying body. She graciously offered to  be my test dummy. I was learning a spirit cleansing, something similar that Ronal preformed on Kiri.

"Again," Ronal said. 

"If you could just tell me what I've done wrong," I huffed  looking up at her.

"Again," was her only answer. I was frustrated, tired and hungry. So when I hissed under my breath Tsireya couldn't help but chuckle.

"Sorry mother," she quickly apologised seeing Ronal's disappointed look. I shared a small smirk with Tsireya starting again.

"Wrong," Ronal suddenly announced.

"For fucks sake," I exclaimed glad the two before me didn't understand english.

"Again," she said. I was just about to give up when Tsireya mouthed the word lower. I started again at a lower position this time getting further than I had before. Yet my movement's stopped however when my hand placed itself on her lower stomach. I frowned dropping the small needle to place my palm flush against it.

Then I felt it. An energy, soft and new. A child.

"What is it?" Tsireya asked.

"There's something," my words trailed of as Ronal placed her hand beside mine. I watched as he features warmed with one of her rare smiles.

"A child," she said making Tsireya eyes go wide in shock. Shock that was replaced by utter joy as happy tears gathering in her eyes.

"A child?" she asked. Ronal nodded excitedly. Tsireya placed her hands on her lower stomach her whole being seeming to light up.

"A CHILD!" She cried in excitement pulling us both into a tight hug. Chuckled let our lips as she bounced excitedly.

"I must tell Lo'ak," she said rushing out of the hut. Our chuckles died down as Ronal looked over me. Yes there was many things that involved being Tsahik. But to sense a child? Is was a skill not all Tsahik's possessed. 

"Well done," she said simply.

============================================================