=Chapter 13=

Sitting atop the back of the tulkun I tried to ignore the pulsing pain in my arm. Our giant savior had offered us a ride home. It was night so we were both grateful for it.

"Do you like looking at the stars?" Loak asked. The tulkun gave a sound in agreement.

"You know my dad came to form a star, that one," he said pointing it out. I smiled looking up at the star. Earth dad called it. A dying world that killed it's mother. 

My ears twitched as I heard my name. Spinning around we rounded a rock to reveal the whole village alit and awake with many people out searching. Calling both Loak's and my name. 

"Oh, man we're in trouble," Loak hissed. I could hear our father calling out.

"Go, I will see you again," Loak signed to the tulkun. The tulkun sunk into the water before disappearing into the depths. Loak swam over to me helping to keep me up as we swam toward the searchers. 

We were put into the back of the skimwing's and taken back to the village. Loak was the first to step onto the lower platform. He reached out gently helping me up. Our attention then turned to the chief and his son. Loaks ears flattened as he stalked up to him only to be stopped by dad as he intercepted him. Aonung;s eyes found mine and then my arm that dripped with blood. His face consorting into worry. 

"Hey let's have a look at you," Dad said looking over Loak as the chief knelt to do the same.

"I'm fine. Nin isn't," Loak said. Dad turned to me rushing over and examining the bandage.

"They're fine, they're fine," Dad said the worry clear in his voice. Worry for us, and worry for the situation. You could cut the tension with a knife.

"Just a few scratches," he said. I looked more beat up than Loak did. After all, I always did. I had a few more scratches that were bleeding a bit more.

"Loak, Sylwanin," mother rushed through the crowd looking over us pausing briefly at my arm. Taking Loak by the shoulders she looked over him. Only when she made sure we were alright did her face morph into anger.

"I pray for the strength that I will not pluck the eyeballs out of my youngest son," she hissed grabbing at his face and making him flinch back.

"No, my son knows better than to take them outside the reef," the chief spoke up pushing Aonung down by the shoulder to kneel.

"The blame is his," the chief declared.

"Ok, let's go," Dad said hesitantly accepting the chiefs words.

"No," Loak said. 

"This is not Aonung's fault. It was my idea. Aonung tried to talk me out of it, really" Loak said. I shook my head. I could understand what my brother was doing. But still.

"Loak," my mother took a scolding tone. The chief and his wife shared an understanding look. 

"Come on," dad ordered. I followed after Loak mother taking me into her arms as we walked away.

"Dad you told me to make friends with these kids, that's all I was trying-"

"I don't want to hear it, You brought shame to this family. And you got your sister hurt," dad said. My heart was saddened at father's words. Loak was hurt by those words and I could see it clear as day. 

"Can I go now?" he asked.

"Any more trouble I jerk a knot into your tail, you read me?" dad asked harshly.

"Yes sir," Loak nodded before walking off. My mother then turned to Neteyam.

"Where were you?" she asked.