=Chapter 6=

I was having a wonderful dream. Well, more of a memory. It was from when Tuk was just born. All of us were in the hammock, curled up in each other's embrace, listening to our mother tell the story of how she fell in love with father. It was beautiful.

Then I woke up.

There was a painful ache in my shoulder. And with that pain, the memories came rushing back. The attack. Looking over I spotted my grandmother kneeling by the fire.

"Grandmother," I called softly. Her head snapped over to me a relives breath leaving her lips as she saw my open eyes.

"Oh my sweet girl," she rushed over gently picking my head up and pressing it to hers. Breathing me in she cupped my cheek before pulling back.

"How are you feeling?" she asked.

"A little sore," I said going to move but hissing in pain. 

"Calm child. Calm," she gently lowered me down.

"Is everyone ok?" I asked.

"Everyone is well," she said but I could hear the hesitation in her voice.

"Grandmother. What is it?" I asked.

My family were overjoyed to see I had woken up. I was hugged, praised, and cried over. And I was hugged as I cried at the news.

Mother and father had decided that we were to leave. He said it was to protect the people. I would gladly do anything to save my people. But it doesn't mean it wasn't hard.

When I was healed enough the ceremony was held. I watched as grandmother took the chief's dress from my father's shoulder and set it atop another. Tarsim. A good man. My father kneeled as he held his knife high in the air. Bringing it down with a cry his fist made contact with my father's chest. It was symbolic.

It symbolized that one leader must die. So the leader can be born. Tucked Under Neteyam's arm we walked away from the great spirit tree. Away from our grandmother and people. Away from everything we had ever known. I shared in my mother's tears and my family's sadness.

Toruk Makto will disappear. The people will be safe.

As we flew from the forest each and every one of us looked back. Looked back at the home we would likely never see again. And with stone's heavy in my heart, I tore my eyes from my home and looked to the horizon. To my future and my family.

We traveled for many days. Though storms and winds. When we stopped to rest father would check my wound, but other than that there was not much talking.

And then. We made it.

The sea clan is a world of themselves. Thousands of islands. Unknown territory. The perfect place to vanish.

It was a beautiful place. Beautiful white beaches and mangrove trees with a whole village woven into them. We landed on a large patch of sand everyone quickly dismounting. I instantly moved to my brothers who sandwiched me between them.

"On me," Father called. 

"Be nice," he said holding his hands up to show he came in peace.

"Be nice," mother repeated his words as she took hold of Tuks hand. Neteyam copied our father's actions.

The metkayina were similar to us. Yet they had light blueish green skin, thick arms that had fin like protrusions on their forearms. Thicker legs, and tails that looked more like a paddle then anything else. And the bluest of eyes. As we walked they started to surround us staring at us curiously and hesitantly. Two of them broke from the crowd looking over us. Myself and my brothers in particular. My brother signed I see you while I only looked. He looked strange. The one leading the other. Whoever he was he held my gaze as he rounded us.