=Chapter 34=

The next day Aonungs mind was plauged by the challenge. Seeing his serious expression I started to hum my song cord kneeling behind him. Running my hands up his back I squeeze his shoulders placing a soft kiss between his shoulder blades. Aonung instantly calmed the tension in his shoulders easing.

"What are you doing?" he asked.

"Calming you down," I said reaching up to his hair starting to run my finger through it. 

"Is it working?" I asked. He chuckled slightly.

"Very well," he said. I smiled continuing to play with his hair taking a small section and starting a braid.

"Nin!" I looked up smiling as Tuk ran up to us only to see us and gag.

"Gross! I don't want to see that!" she exaggerated before running off again.

"What was that?" Aonung asked with a chuckle as I braided in the ends beads.

"Well braiding someone's hair is a very, uh intimate act," I rushed the end of the sentence out finishing off the braid and smiling at the small assortment of blue beads.

"Intimate huh? Is there a meaning behind this braid?" he asked turning around and kneeling on one knee his hand placing itself at my side as he hovered over me our faces inches apart.

"This one means that you're spoken for," I said gently tugging at it. He smirked reaching up to hold the braid in front of his face. 

"You know we reef people have something similar," he said with a proud smirk.

"Oh really?" I asked. He nodded his eyes flickering down to the necklace.

"What this?" I asked.

"Pearls. If it's presented as a gift it signifies the will to take the recipient as a mate," he said.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I asked in shock. I had been wearing it all those years and hadn't even noticed. 

"I was scared to," he admitted honestly.

"The big bad chiefs son. Scared? I don't believe it," I smiled. 

"I was absolutely terrified. But now I have you. Now the only thing I need to fear is losing you," he said cupping my cheek.

"You don't need to fear such a thing. I'm not going anywhere," I said placing my hand over his.

"Good," he whispered leaning down to kiss me.

"Aonung," Tonowari appeared a spear in hand.

"It's time," he said. Aonung stood pulling me up with him.

A semi-circle formed on the shores of the beach. I was safely tucked into my parent's embrace as we watched Aonung and Godoul circle each other.

"Remind you of something?" Mother whispered to father who only smirked. Godoul putting this challenge forward was simply translated to a slap in the face. The deepest insult to the future Tsahik and Olo'eyktan.

The drums beat and the people started chanting. Then it began. To call it a one sided fight would be an understatement. Godoul could barely keep his spear up as Aonung absolutely thrashed him. It was an impressive sight. The way his muscles moved beneath his skin. The powerful yells of his attacks. His rage as the insult moving through his hits. A small gasp of surprise left my lips when Aonung disarmed him and delivered the swiftest, most saying punch to Godouls nose, sending him falling to the floor. Aonung stood over Godoul his features still filled with anger as he held the spear to his throat. 

"Yield," he growled lowly. Godoul smirked holding his hands up in defeat. 

"Aonung is the victor!" Tonawari yelled. Cheered echoed through the people praising Aonung. Yet his eyes rested solely on mine. I smiled clapping along with everyone else. 

"Sylwanin. You must choose," Ronal said gently pushing me forward. Without any hesitation, I walked up to Aonung.

"I chose you, fish boy," I said. He smiled pulling me into him to kiss me deeply. The crowd cheered again as he raised his spear in victory. And just like that it was over. It almost seemed like a dream really.

After that was done I was quickly pulled away by the women of the village.

"What's going on?" I asked looking to Aonung who only smiled.

I was practically dragged onto the back of an Ilu and swum out to the back of the island. The woman sung songs of blessings tying strings of pearls into my hair. I got pulled off the Ilu to tread water. Very far to the left, I could see Aonung in a similar situation.

"There is a cave below us. It has many passageways. You and Aonung are to enter at different sides and meet in the middle. Then eywa will judge your bond," Ronal swam up to me with the faintest smile. Taking a small container she dipped her thumb in the ink inside and drew a circle on my forehead. She then dragged it down the middle of my lips. Kiri smiled from beside me placing her hand on my shoulder. 

"Good luck," she said. After steadying my breathing I swam down being led by Ronal to a cave entrance. Then I entered. 

At first, it was dark then my path started to be lit with glowing fish and plants of all sorts. I made it quickly through the passageways. There was a large underwater area that had an opening that let crystal clear rays of sunlight through. I swam up to them looking around for Aonung. 

Little did I know that Aonung had arrived at the exact same time I had. Yet he stayed back as he simply took me in. He was in aww. My body bathed under the rays of the light my hair floating softly in the water. He couldn't believe that I had chosen him as a mate. Pushing up from the floor of the cave he swam up. A bubble of air left my lips as Aonung wrapped his arms around me spinning me around. He held me in such a way that I was taller than him. When I realized what had grabbed me I smiled brightly clasping his neck. We gazed into each other eyes simply floating there for a time.

Our heart sung in happiness. Leaning down I pressed my lips to his. His hand slid up my back holding me closer.

We had made it. We found each other.

============================================================