=Chapter 38=

"Spider?" Kiri questioned as Spider rushed up to her. She had been setting by the beach threading some nets. She quickly took in Spider's fearful expression as Loak stormed towards her. She grasped by his furious expression that Loak had found out. Standing she pushed Spider behind her. 

"LOAK!" I yelled running after him. He didn't hear me. Running up a leaning tree trunk I jumped off landing in front of him. 

"Calm down! Loak!" I yelled. He was on a mission. He didn't even glance at me.

"I don't want to hurt you brother," I warned. His stride didn't break and before I knew it he was upon me. Hooking my arm around his neck I placed my leg behind his and yanked him to the side. Throwing him off balance and falling to the ground with him.

"What is the meaning of this?" Mother asked walking up to us all. Great just what I needed. Father was quick to follow, Tuk and Toru hot on their heels.

"Loak now is not the time," I whispered into his ear as he struggled in my choke hold. Reefing his head forward he threw it back. I saw a flash of white as his skull cracked against my nose. The shock and pain had me momentarily losing my grip just enough for him to get free. 

"I'LL KILL YOU!" Loak hissed running towards Spider. Throwing my legs out I tripped him quickly jumping on him and twisting his arm back. Yanking the knife from his grip I looked up at the others.

"Look at Tuk. Look at Toru. Don't show them this side of you," I hissed. 

"Get off!" he yelled. 

"Sylwanin!" My mother snapped walking up to me.

"What would Neteyam think?" That sentence had struck Loak like a slap in the face. His movement's stilled as he took in Tuk and Toru's scared gazes. Mother reffed me off Loak like she would when we were got into fights when we were younger. She hissed at me gently shoving me away from Loak who slowly stood. His chest heaved heavily as he stared down Spider. Standing I felt the blood drip down my nose. Quickly whipping it away I looked at my mother. 

"What are you two thinking?" she hissed grabbing us both by the ears. I hissed as she twisted them slightly.

"Ask him," Loak nodded to Spider. Father walked up to us with questioning looks.

"What is he speaking of?" mother snapped turning her angered gaze to Spider.

"Don't spider," Kiri whispered.

"I saved Quaritch. He was drowning and I saved him. I had to. He saved my life. I had to make it even," I watched mothers face as her once kind eyes glazed over. 

"You saved the demon?" Mother whispered.

"I did. And I'm sorry. But I had to. A life for a life," his words were drowned out by my mother's yell of utter rage and anguish. She sprinted forward her knife drawn too fast for father and I to catch her. I thought for sure that, that is where spider's life would end right there and then. 

But I was wrong.

I had never seen Kiri fight. I had never seen her in a threatening way. Yet as mother lunged for Spider Kiri placed her body in between them. Catching mother and rolling onto her back and using her feet to chuck her over them both. Mother landed with a thud quickly regaining her bearing to see Kiri standing over Spider, her knife drawn, her body posed to attack and the most threatening hiss I had ever heard erupting from her throat. Our whole family was frozen in shock.

"If you want him you'll have to go through me," Kiri threatened adjusting her grip on her knife nervously. 

"You take the side of this demon. He is the reason your brother is dead!" mother yelled going to rush him again only to be held back by father.