=Chapter 9=

The next thing we had to learn was breathing. 

"Breath in, and breath out," Tsireya said as we all sat in a circle on some exposed rocks. "Imagine flickering flame. You must slow down your heartbeat," she said moving over to Loak putting one hand on his chest and one on his stomach.

"Breathe in, breathe out. Breathe from here," she said patting his stomach. Loak did so his gaze moving to her face.

"Loak your heartbeat is fast," she said.

"Sorry," he muttered.

"Try and focus," she said.

"Ok," he nodded. Instantly Neteyam, I and Rotxo grinned knowingly. It turns our my dear brother had a little crush. I smirked with the knowledge that I would tease him with it later.

We learned quickly. Tsireya was a good teacher. We had gotten so good at riding that we played tag under the water. Seeing Aonung swimming away I went up swimming above him. Reaching down I gently tugged his tail. He spun around in shock his expression making me laugh. A smile that seemed to be contagious. As he shared a smile right back. 

One day father brought both Neteyam and I to train with the other warriors. There was a large stone slab where the warriors trained. Big enough to house the whole village if they wanted. The stone beneath our feet was carved with beautiful descriptions. Of great battle and giant beasts. It was so delicately carved that I knelt to get a better look.

"Jake Sully," I stood returning to my father's side as he greeted the chief. 

"My son Neteyam, my daughter Sylwanin. By our culture they are fully fledged warriors," father stated proudly placing a hand on each shoulder.

"Yes, I remember you. No many look my mate in the eye when she is angry and not cower," Tanowari said with a small smirk gesturing to me. My father turned to me with a propped eyebrow demanding an explanation.

"I meant no disrespect," I quickly apologised.

"No disrespect was given," he assured me. 

"And how are they, warriors? All because they learned how to ride a flying creature?" a young warrior questioned.

"Enough," the chief hissed.

"I am curious though. How does one become a warrior in the jungles?" he asked inquisitivly.

"First we learn to hunt. How to keep the balance of life. We then make our first kill," Neteyam began to explain.

"Once we have done that we tame an Ikran," I added.

"And then we go through a dream hunt. Where we connect with Eywa," My father finished.

"I see. Well if you are to be warriors of this clan you must forget your ways. You must abide by the way of the metkayina warrior," the chief said. My brother and father nodded quickly agreeing.

"What is wrong child?" Tonawari asked noticing my hesitation.

"With all due respect. I wish not to forget the warrior way I was raised with. It will forever be a part of me. But while I am here I will abide by your rules. And follow your ways," I said. There was a few seconds of silence.

"If you can not accept this I understand if you don't want me to be a warrior," I added softly.

"Your terms are acceptable," he nodded with an understanding smile. A warm thing really that had me returning a smile just as warm. 

"Come, today you will train as you normally do. We will observe," he said before turning to his warriors and giving out the orders to train as usual.

"Alright you heard him, Neteyam fights your sister," Setting my bow down I walked a bit away.

"Do I have to?" Neteyam asked with a deep sigh. 

"Yes, come on," dad said giving him a little pat on the back for encouragement. 

"You fight her," he huffed.

"Not a chance," dad laughed crossing his arms and nodding to me.

"What sort of man is scared to fight his own daughter," one of the warriors offered the insult up only to be hushed by the chief. Yet my dad wasn't offended.

"The sort of man that knows she got the warrior traits from both her parents," he said simply. reaching up I started to untie my dagger and sheath from my chest band Neteyam doing the same. 

"Try not to embrace me too much Nin," Neteyam said as we started to circle each other.

"I'll try not to," I smiled. 

"Alright, have at it," father announced. I rushed forward, our blows were quick jabs that were blocked. Punches that were dogged. Almost disarming Neteyam he pulled back out of my reach. An impressive sound left some of the young warriors as we pulled back to circle each other. 

"Guard up Neteyam," father called. Neteyam was a good fighter. But he wasn't better than me. Then I attacked again. My flurry of blows was just a distraction. I waited for my opening and snapped into action as I saw it. I slammed my palm up catching his throat and stunning him slightly. Grabbing the back of his neck I basically walked up to his body hooking my thing around his neck and twisting my body fast and hard throwing us both to the ground. Myself landing gently and Neteyam's back slamming against the stone. Twisting the arm that held the dagger I held it tightly to my body my leg still clamped around his neck. In this position, he was unable to do anything. 

Impressed whispers spread through the warriors most barely being able to see and comprehend what had just happened. Aonung stared with wide aww filled eyes.

Neteyam struggled for a bit before patting my leg and tapping out. Releasing my hold I stood smiling down at him as I offered my hand. 

"I thought you weren't going to embarace me," he said taking my hand as I heaved him up. 

"I didn't, I could have taken you five moves earlier," I said making him chuckle. 

"You fight well," the chief chuckled amused by it all. "Very well," he added placing a hand on my shoulder.

"Neteyam you will learn from Maoi. Sylwanin you will learn from Aonung," the chief said. Nodding I looked to Aonung who beckoned me over with his head.

"You fight well," he commented.

"Thankyou. Although I don't know how well I'd do with that," I said pointing to the weapon rack.

"This is the weapon of a metkayina. You will learn to fight with this," he said taking a wooden spear with two ends and holding it out to me. 

"Then let's get it done," I smiled tucking the spear under my arm and walking to an open area Aonung shaking his head slightly with a small smirk.

He wasn't going to lie. He was looking forward to it.

============================================================