=Chapter 24=

When the ship fully submerged and the backlash of the water hit us we were thrown around like rag dolls. Still, Aonungs and my grip were tight so we never parted. Swimming back to the surface I checked on Kiri and Spider. We then looked into the water for anyone who might surface. Hearing a call I looked up relief filling me when I saw Loak.

"Mum and dad are down there on the ship," Kiri said.

"Grab on. let's go," Loak said. We all took hold of the Ilu as it swam us down. We all split up looking for them. Aonung stayed by my side as we searched. As time passed I got more and more worried. I was running out of air too. That was until Aonung tugged on my arm. Turning to him he pointed behind us. I was relieved when I saw my mother, Tuk, and Kiri swimming up to the surface accompanied by many glowing little fish. And in the distance, I could see Payakan. Swimming up I emerged not too far from my family.

"Mum! Dad!" I called. I quickly swam towards them as we gathered on the fin of Payakan all reaching for each other as we pulled ourselves into a tight hug. I simply took in my family. Took in the breath I heard. Took in that they were safe. Aonung hung back as he let us have our moment. Mother reached over cupping my cheek.

Sully's stick together. That was our greatest weakness. And our greatest strength.

"Where is Neteyam?" I asked.

==================================

Pulling myself out of the water I numbly stood. My eyes trained on my brother. On his open eyes. On his bloodied chest. And on his unmoving body. 

"Neteyam," I called softly walking over and kneeling. I didn't get a reply.

"Neteyam," I called again reaching forward to cup his cheeks. He didn't respond. My thumb's brushed his cheeks trying to wake him. 

"Hey come on. This isn't funny. Wake up. Wake up big brother," I whispered shakily tears gathering in my eyes. My brain already knew what had happened. The silence of my family when I asked where he was. The sobs I could hear from my mother.

He was gone. Yet my heart wouldn't accept it. It held on for dear life to that little string of hope.

"Come on, look at me. Stop joking around. Neteyam, Please Neteyam wake up. Please," The tears fell down my cheeks as I shock him slightly. 

"Please. Don't leave me," I begged as I felt my heart start to shatter. start to accept the truth. 

"Who gonna kept me out of trouble huh? You cant go. Please don't go. I don't want you to go," I picked his head up holding it close to me. My hand fell to his chest. Fell to the last hope of a heartbeat still residing within it.

"No," I shook my head as I didn't feel anything.

"No no no no no," I cried a sob racking my body. The string I was holding onto severed completely in two. He was dead. 

"NOOOO!" I screamed. Mother reached over holding my face as she hugged us both.

"Please great mother. Not him. please not him," I cried. I begged, I prayed. but he was gone. Truly gone. 

"You can't leave me. I need you. Neteyam please," I sobbed. But he wouldn't listen to my pleas. He never woke up.

Aonung, whose arm had been wrapped around my shoulder the whole time tightened. Tear's gathered in his eyes his heart breaking at my sobs. He knew he couldn't do anything at that time. So he simply stayed. Stayed and held me as I cried. 

My mind didn't take anything in after that. 

The next thing I could remember was my mother placing Neteyam's song cord in my hand. My face had been painted white. A fresh set of tears gathered as I moved to the top of his song cord. Mounting my Ilu I looked up to see my brother's body carried in a water sled.

Taking a deep breath I began to sing.

I sang the song of his life.

Of his birth, his first communion with Eywa. Of each of our sibling's births. Of his proudest moments and the moments he was proud of us. Of the battles he fought, of his happiest times. The villagers gathered all in sorrow holding aloft torches. Their heart's saddened at my truly mourning voice. My voice hitched at a certain bead. 

"My sister Sylwaning became a hunter. She is powerful and kind. She brings me great joy with her smile. I am proud of her. I thank eywa that she was brought into my life," I rember hearing that bead for the first time. I remember Neteyam smiling at me, and I remember hugging him tightly as he did.

We continued, my family swimming to the cove of the ancestors. My hand fell to the last bead.

"Now I return to Eywa. My life was filled with great happiness. I thank Eywa for my life. Now I return to her embrace," my fingers fell off the end of the cord. Mother and father pulled Neteyam out of the sling holding him afloat as they looked at me. Slipping off my ilu I swam up to him. Tying his song cord to his waist I moved to his face gently cupping it. 

He looked so peaceful. His eyes closed. I guess I was happy they were closed. I was happy he couldn't see me crying. Yet he was the only one I could cry in front of. My mind flashed with all the moments we spent together. Of all the joy and security he made me feel. 

No words could describe the utter dispair inside my heart. 

"You did well Neteyam. I'm so proud of you," I whispered pressing my forehead to his. I closed my eyes taking a shaky breath.

"I see you, brother. And I will never forget," I whispered pressing my lips to his temple. Pulling back my hand slipped from his cheek. Loak pulled me into his embrace as mother and father dove down with Netyams body. Gently pushing it into the glowing Anemone I watched as his body disappeared from view.

The people say that all energy is only borrowed. And one day you have to give it back. 

Eywa holds all her children in her heart. Nothing is ever lost.

Yet at that moment I had never felt more lost in all my life. 

============================================================