=Chapter 41=

The knowledge of a child was the cause of great celebration. More of a family one though. All members of the family close and extended were invited. They would celebrate, guess the baby's gender, propose names, and give blessings and good wishes to the parents. 

Walking up to Tsireya and Lo'ak I placed my hands on her stomach.

"May Eywa bless you and your child," I whispered with a wide smile. Tsireya returned my smile but when I looked at Lo'ak he avoided my gaze. I nodded moving back Aonung gently wrapping his arm around my shoulders and giving them a soft squeeze.

It was late into the night when I notice Lo'ak wasn't around. Finding him sitting a bit away from the party I walked up to him and silently sat beside him. 

And we drank, silently mostly yet every now and then we would talk. Small talk, with an air of hesitation around it.

"You're slowing down a bit there brother," I commented filling up his cup.

"You are speeding up," he shot back pulling the cup to his mouth while I was still poring.

"So your gonna be a dad huh?" I asked putting the drink down and placing a firm hand on his shoulder.

"Ah? is that what this party is for?" he asked jokingly. He turned to look into my eyes for the first time. As he did I noticed a deep turmoil in them.

"It good to see everyone celebrating," Lo'ak commented quickly looking away as he realised I had noticed.

"Not everyone," I mumbled into my cup. The abcense of Kiri and Spider was clear.

"Come on don't do that," he groaned.

"They should be here," I argued. He huffed and went to go stand and leave but I grabbed hold of his arm.

"Lo'ak," I whispered my voice begging. Closing his eyes he hated hearing the weakness in my voice. There were a few moments of silence before his hand turned to grip mine.

"I can't forgive him Sylwanin. I just can't," he shook his head. He was speaking of Spider. I could understand, at first I didn't think I could forgive him either.

"I understand. I do brother. But think. Would you do the same? If it was our father?" I asked softly. He refused to look at me as he processed my words.

"We are a family. We need to support and protect one another. That is what Neteyam would have wanted," I whispered.

"Don't say his name," Lo'ak begged.

"Lo'ak look at me," I begged. He gave resistance as I forcefully turned him around his eyes cast down. 

"Lo'ak, look at me. please," I begged. slowly he raised his eyes. As we locked eyes my heart twisted. The sorrow and pain I saw in his eyes crumpled me. I saw the same kid, on the same day we lost our brother. Lo'ak was conflicted, he was happy for having a child but all he could think of was the sacrifice that got him there. 

"It's not your fault," I whispered the words I should have said long ago. The words I didn't fully believe until recently. The words Lo'ak had needed to hear from the moment of Neteyam's death.

"I know," he whispered.

"Lo'ak," I snapped more firmly taking his face into my hands.

"It is not your fault," I said firmly. Tears gathered in his eyes as his breath quickened reaching up to grasp my hand. His heart fought and battled inside him. The emotions, the guilt he had pushed for far down inside him fighting to surface.

"It is not your fault," My words held nothing but the truth as I forced a comforting smile. Lo'ak crumpled in my arms his head falling to my chest as he cried. His grip tightened on the arms that I wrapped around him. 

"It is not your fault," I kept repeating those words over and over again. He cried and sobbed in anguish as I rocked him. I had done my best to be there for my brother. Yet he never truly accepted my help. Not till that very moment. The first moment he broke through the sea of grief.

"I got you Lo'ak. I'll always be here for you. I promised to remember," I whispered. My mind flickered back to when we were children, lost in the woods. We had sat in a similar position as we repeated that promise. He cried for a long time eventually falling asleep in my arms. 

Seeing Aonung walk up to us I forced a smile. Kneeling his face twisted in worry as he reached up to wipe away the tears I didn't know I was crying.

"I'm fine," I whispered. He sighed knowing I wasent. He didn't say anything as he helped Lo'ak back to his hut. Walking back to our shared hut I sunk down to our shared mat my fingers finding my song cord to the two white beads that signified Neteyams death. Laying down I curled up.

Silently Aonung lay down behind me gently pulling me into his chest to spoon me. He didn't say anything, he knew he didn't need to say anything. All I need was for him to be there. He gently kissed my tattooed shoulder his thumb gently rubbing my hip. Turning around I buried myself into his chest.

"I've done all I can Aonung. It's up to them now," I whispered. Pulling me in tighter he tucked me under his chin.

The next morning I was awake before Aonung, sitting on the side of our hut in the early glow of the morning sun.  Aonung awoke feeling the coldness of the empty mat beside him. Sitting up his eyes searched for me finding my silhouette back by the rising sun. My braids gently moved in the breeze as I took in the world around me. The blessed world my brother fought hard to give us. 

"Good morning, my heart," Aonung wispered snaking his hands around my waist and giving my temple a gentle kiss.

"Good morning," I whispered back giving him a genuine smile.

"How are you feeling this morning?" he asked softly. I took a moment to ask myself that question. I had let go of the blame, I had said what needed to be said. And I hoped that Lo'ak would believe it.

"Im feeling good," I nodded.

========================================================================