=Chapter 28=

The day came and I took my pack out to Oogi who waited patiently on the beach. It was a bit of chaos as my family gathered around. Tuk was sitting on Oogi's back giggling as she pretended to fly.

Mother was riffling through my pack quadruple checking that I had everything. Dad was giving me a debriefing. Loak was peeking through my food pack to see if there was anything he wanted to eat. Kiri was calming down a fussing Toru as Spider played peekaboo with him. 

"Dad. I have the map. Plus you've made me memorize the route back and front. If anything bad happens I'll turn right around," I said. He went to talk.

"And if it goes wrong closer to the forest I keep going till I get to safty," I quickly said the words he was about to. 

"And you have your?"

"I have my emergency pack and the handgun," I said nodding to Oogi.

"And,"

"And only use it for emergencies I know dad," I grinned. He sighed with a nod.

"You sure you're ready?" he asked.

"Yes, dad. I am," I nodded. With another huff, he pulled me into a tight hug. This would be the first time I was away from him for an extended period. 

"I see you, Sylwanin," I smiled into my dad's chest hugging him tighter.

"I see you too dad," I whispered back. Pulling back he gave me a brief kiss on the head ruffling my hair. 

"You must leave now. While the wind is good," mother announced walking up to me. I nodded reaching out to hug her. Holding me close she pressed her lips to my head breathing in my scent.

"Don't get lost," Loak said placing a hand on my shoulder. I shook my head with a small grin turning to hug him tightly. With a huff, he hugged back. Tuk quickly joined followed by the rest of my family.

"I'm gonna miss you guys," I whispered.

"Stop with the sappy stuff. You'll be home soon," Loak said ruffling my hair.

"Slywanin," We all turned to Ronal and her family.

"May Eywa bless your journey," Ronal said with a nod. I respectfully nodded back.

"Good luck," Tsireya walked up to me taking my hands before hugging me tightly. Tsireya and I had gotten closer to. She was my first real girl friend outside of my family. Pulling back she smiled at me before stepping to the side and allowing Aonung to step forward.

"What should I do? Your father is watching me like an Ikran," he joked.

"Just hug me," I said. He smiled pulling me into a hug his head ducking down to my neck. The hug lasted far too long for father's liking as we took each other in. 

"Be safe," he whispered.

"Always am," I whispered back. My handset itself on his neck as I squeezed him before pulling back. Reaching into my pack I pulled out a leather woven armband. 

"To remember me by," I whispered placing it in his hand. He smiled being the leather band up to his lips to kiss. Blushing I turned and walked to my Ikran. 

"I'll see you soon everyone!" I called out waving. Choruses of goodbyes were heard as I took off into the air. And off I was. Back to the forest. 

And time passed. Three months. Everyone was excited about my return. So when they saw Oogi's figure approaching a horn was sounded and my family rushed out to the beach along with Tsireya, Rotxo, and Aonung.

"NIN'S HOME!" Tuk yelled with excitement bouncing around. My family shared in her bright smile as Oogi got closer. Only their smiles slowly started to fall when they saw Oogis's shaky flight. And their smile disappeared when he crashed into the sand a tumbling mess. A tumbling mess with no ridder. 

Oogi was instantly on the defensive his chest heaving rapidly as he hissed threateningly at anyone who tried to get close.

"Where's Nin?' Tuk whispered. 

"Hey, Oogi!" Aonung yelled. Oogie's hisses subsided slightly but he was still on edge. Aonung gently and slowly inched forward stopping momentarily when Oogi snapped at him.

"Calm Oogi. I'm a friend remember?" Aonung said. His hand gingerly reached out till it was placed on Oogie's head. At that moment, Oogi calmed his head dropping into Aonung's arms in exhaustion. Dad quickly rushed forward helping take the weight. Mother's heart was filled with worry as she looked over Oogi. Looking for me. She found no saddle, no reigns. The only thing she found was semi healed hole in Oogie's wing.

"My Jake," she whispered reaching for dad. Dad looked at her following her gaze to see the holes.

"What are they?" Tuk asked innocently.

"Bullet holes," Dad whispered fear setting into both my parent's gaze.

"There something around his neck," Loak pointed out. Dad grabbed the casual handing around Oogis neck and quickly opened it. A rolled-up piece of paper fell into his hand. Opening it he frowned seeing the writing that made no sense to him.  

"What the hell?" he asked showing the paper to my mother who now stood by his side. Loak quickly moved to their side as well.

"Boogi Oogi," Loak read out a light flicking inside his head.

"I can read this," he announced taking the paper from dads hands.

"How?" he asked.

"It was a secret langue I and nin created," loak said quickly translating the words in his head.

"What does it say?" Aonung asked his eyes fixated on the empty back of Oogi.

"It says...." he paused his face falling.

"She says it's not safe to come back. The Rda has set up a barrier shooting down anything with a rider. It's maned 24/7 and she's not able to get past it. She says she's safe with the tribe and will be staying there until the coast is clear. She says we can't use any communication devices, the Rda is tracking those too. She says they're still looking for you dad," Loak paused looking up at his father's unreadable expression. Mother took father's hand her other moving to cover her mouth. 

"She promises you that she is safe. That the people are safe. And she says any attempts to approch or flee from the forest are truly impossible. She wants you to trust her. She says she can't lose another family member," Loak pressed his lips together at those words.

"Did she say anything else?" Dad asked.

"She said she will come home as soon as it was safe too. And that this would be the last message we would get from her. It's too dangerous and she doesn't want you getting found. She also said she'd kill anyone that came after her," he added dropping the letter to his side.

"How do we know it's her? What if she's been kidnapped?" Kiri asked.

"She's smart she would have found a way to tell us that in the decoded message," Loak said simply.

"So what we just wait?" Kiri asked in disbelief.

"If what she says is true then yes, we wait. I won't lose any of you," Dad said definitely. He needed to believe my words. He needed to believe I was safe. He didn't know how he would survive if I wasn't. 

So they waited. 

all except Loak and Aonung who gave each other looks of disbelief. Agreeing simply with there gaze to go after me. 

============================================================