=Chapter 26=

The following morning I was awoken by a glint of sunlight. I hadn't slept like I slept that night since Neteyam had died. It was a sleep free of nightmares and worries. My eyes fluttered open as I took in a deep breath. I frowned when I saw the beach and the water. And something blue. When my eyes focused that something blue turned out to be skin. A chest to be exact. My eyes widened as I took in exactly what I was doing. Aonung had moved us to a bit of foliage. He lay slightly propped up by a log. I was curled up at his side perfectly tucked under his arm. My head resting on his chest his heart beats providing a soothing rhythm. My body was pressed flush against his side my leg hiked up onto his thigh before hooking under his knee. One of my hands was tucked into my chest the other resting on his chest. His own hand clasped over it. His other arms basically kept me perfectly supported his hand coming to a rest on my hip. 

I half expected myself to turn into a stuttering embarrassing mess. Only I was perfectly calm. It was tranquil and for the first time since Neteyam's death, my heart was at peace. So I simply lay there basking in the peace it brought me. 

"Sleep, I'll keep watch," Aonung's words sounded as his thumb started to rub my held hand. So I did. I had another blissful sleep. When I woke up it seemed to be late in the afternoon.

"You should go see him Sylwanin. Perhaps it may bring you peace," Aonung suggested softly. Taking a deep breath I turned to look at the sea.

"Will you come with me?" I asked.

"Always," he whispered. Aonung took me to the great spirit tree on the back of his Ilu. Looking down into the water I found myself stopping. Aonung slipped off the ilu swimming over to me. Taking my hand he gave me a comforting smile.

"You got this forest girl," he whispered. With a shaky nod, I slipped off. Taking a deep breath I swam to a branch of the great spirit tree. Holding my queue out I paused. The last moments of hesitation were pulling at my mind. A small squeeze from Aonongs hand hands me closing my eyes and connecting my queue.

======

Stepping through the forest I pushed away a leaf. And there he stood.

"Neteyam," I called softly. He turned to me and smiled brightly.

"Hey baby sister," he said walking up to me. Tears gathered in my eyes as I walked up to him. 

"What's the matter? Did you get hurt again?" he asked as he noticed my tears.

"N-No I just," I struggled to find the words as I whipped my tears away. 

"I just miss you so," I whispered forcing a smile as I looked up at him. He processed my words for a few moments before smiling sadly.

"I see," he whispered.

"I'm so sorry Neteyam," I sobbed.

"Hey hey hey. Shhh. Calm sister," he murmured pulling me into a tight hug. I could feel him. His warmth, I could smell his scent. He was really here.

"So that's where I am," he whispered as he looked around. He knew he was with Eywa. Yet as soon as I left he would forget that fact again. That was the way. Those with Eywa would never remember their death. Even if they were told they would still not remember. 

"Your ok right? You're not in any pain?" I asked.

"My dear sister. I should be asking you that," he said pulling back to cup my face.

"The pain I see in your eyes. I'm with Eywa now. Aren't I?" he asked. I gave a shaky nod reaching up to cup his face.

"Is everyone else safe?" he asked. I nodded busing my thumb under his eye.

"You should not weep. I know it must hurt now. But you have no reason to cry," he said.

"No reason? Your gone Neteyam," I cried.

"Gone? How can I be gone? I stand right in front of you," he said with a smile.

"My heart beats on in Eywa," he said opening his arms to the forest around us.

"I will always be with you sister," he continued returning his gaze to me.

"I love you, so so much. And I'm so proud of you," I said through shakey sobs.

"I'm proud of you too Nin. I know it must not be easy," he said.

"And I love you too. More than you will ever know," he said leaning down to press our foreheads together. 

"You are strong. You will get through this. I know it," he said a tear leaking from his eye.

"What if I am not strong enough?" I asked shakily.

"Not possible," he said simply making me chuckle. 

"Come on. I'll race you back home," he said with a bright smile before running off. 

"Neteyam wait!" I called.

"Last one has to tell dad Loak snuck out!" he called over his shoulder. 

"Wait up," my legs moved before I could think.

Then I ran. Ran through the forest we used to call home. A bright smile worked its way onto my face as Neteyam playfully pushed me. We ran like we were kids again. It was a blissfully happy time. We stopped at the edge of a branch. My chest heaved as I looked out into the empty vastness with a frown. In front of us, it looked like everything just disappeared into a vertical wall of rippling water. 

"What's this?" I asked.

"It's your home Nin. Your future," he said simply. I frowned looking through the reflective surface. What I saw was myself still connected to the spirit tree, Aonung still by my side watching me.

"You must live it to the fullest," Neteyam said simply.

"You must fill your life with joy. Happiness, excitement. Fill it with love. That is the only thing I ask of you," he said reaching up and placing his hand on the surface. As he did it was clear he wasn't able to move through it.

"Will you promise me that Nin?" he asked turning back to me.

"I promise," I nodded a fresh set of tears gathering.

"Good. Oh and keep that skxawng of our brother out of trouble ok," he said holding his hand out to me. Taking it I chuckled with a nod.

"I promise," I repeated.

"That's my girl. Now get out of here. You're running out of breath," he said with a smirk.

"I'll come to visit you again," I said as I hugged him tightly.

"I'm counting on it. I'd hate to miss out on what becomes of you and Aonung," he said with a cheeky smirk. Before I could respond I was pulled through the surface. The last thing I saw was Neteyam's face, a single tear rolling down his cheek and the feeling of his hand leaving mine. 

Then I was back.

Back by the great tree. And back beside Aonung. Pulling my braid back the warm happy feeling I felt inside spilled onto my lips as I gave Aonung's hand a squeeze.

"I see you," I signed and turned to him. A wide smile spread across his lips.

At that moment I knew I was gonna be ok.

============================================================