chapter 2

Sienna Galeon

It was my 20th birthday had made a decision. One most would laugh at for sure. I had decided to tell my parents that I was ready to be married...Yeah, yeah, I know, who would decide to get married at this age? Why? You have a whole life with you they would say. Are you dumb? Who in their right mind wants that? For love?

Not exactly for love but for my problem I have.

I have had it ever since I was a little girl. My therapist in childhood had told my parents that I've developed a serious condition which you'd think is laughable in itself.

Emophilia. One who falls in love too fast.

It's true unfortunately. I couldn't help it if my history teacher handed me extra credit and thought better of it in as he wanted my time after classes to get to know one another. Or when my best friend from childhood who isn't my friend anymore named Ashlin, wasn't a lesbian and that I was a creep for telling her I loved her at a sleep over.

Or what's worse, when I know right from wrong but couldn't help my feeling when one of my dads men who followed me around in college campus took my flirting words into a makeout session in a janitor closet.

He was fired of course...never saw him again.

I knew my parents hated it, but I just cannot help the rush of the feeling. To be in love, and to hopefully be loved. To have someone you can be with for the rest of days on end.

Yes, I know it sounds childish. But the child in me is in heart still. I live in a loving family.

And yes, I know living in a Mafia family isn't so much about rose-gold glasses and hearts and rainbows. I've seen blood, and the ways my father, the Capo is.

I was his only child. Sometimes I do get the heat of not being a boy who could take his place.

Since the age eighteen I had announced at the dinner table that I was ready to be wedded if they had found a suitor. They looked at me as if I'd lost an eye, or gained another. I remember the conversation as if it were yesterday's news.

"Honey, with your condition, I think it's best we wait, don't you think?" Mama says.

"How about we wait until your twenty sweetheart." Papa mutters.

And so I waited and now I'm twenty and ready.

My therapist says otherwise but we won't let that count. Because I know I'm ready.

I knew an arranged marriage was our family's value. Just like them they were in an arrangement for business between two gangs. It worked for the better because they learned to love each other after.

I could learn to love too. But for me I knew it would be different. It always was.

I'm a hopeless romantic.

Giddy with myself I run my palms down my seafoam sundress that ruffles up by my knees. Blue shimmering high heels with little tiny bows by the ankles. My makeup is a little less today for a more natural side. Matte nude lip stick, mascara curled my long lashes. My olive toned skin with tiny dark speckle of freckles scattered around my nose. My long dark hair is curled slightly with a natural wave touching the small of my back. The heels had made me taller which is good cause I was only touching 5ft which is one of my insecurities.

Especially my thick ass and thick tits that say hello when I bend down. A small pudgyness on my belly--

I have always been on the chubby side but I finally got rid of it on my face since I was sixteen.

With a last glance at the hallway mirror I make it down the stairs towards the dinner table. I can hear Christmas music playing from my moms vintage Italian record player from the 70s.

My parents had me at an older age, they were hitting their sixties. But no judgment, they were in their enemies to lovers spat at a young age.

The table is set up only for three people, me and them. The servants named, Leo and Greta await for the Capo and his wife.

I take a seat and chug my glass of water in silence, my hands shake with nervousness.

I've been waiting for two years and this time they need to accept my request. Because what I've heard from rumors about our past family history... I was supposed to be engaged by now like they were.

I wanted to show Papa that I could make him look good, that he didn't need a son but me to make our family look good. I'm showing him I can take this into strides, show him that I respect our family values.

Tonight is the night. I can feel it.

I wonder who my future husband would be? Would he be an underboss? Maybe a consigliere? A soldier perhaps?

No, my father would pick the best husband for me he once said I was meant be a Queen.

Only tonight he said the exact opposite.