chapter 28

Nicolai Stone

Fear is the one emotion I'd never encountered in my life. Not once when many attempt to kill me or threaten me. Not once the feeling came until a certain dark haired, tawny brown eyed woman stares back at me in raw betrayal gracing her beautiful face, as she foams out of the mouth and claws at her throat.

My legs and body protests but I ignore the sharp pain and lunge for her to catch her from falling down.

Then she says something stupid like, "you...wanted me gone." As if.

She was poisioned.

Right in front of my eyes.

I run knowing that it will damage me more. The sharpness of my muscles pinch my spine in agony but I will myself to make it to the infirmary.

Looking down at her face, my words crack when she closes her eyes and her breathing becomes shallow, "stay with me, ангел."

Donovon is the first to see who is in my arms his eyes widen and sees the foam staining the side of her lips. He turns around and kicks open the infirmary door while I rush in and speak fast and rough in Russian to my Doctor.

Laying her down the table they start working on her but I stay by her side, daring them to tell me to leave, it was not possible, especially with a look I give them.

The Doctor looks to me in concern, "you shouldn't be running or walking much!"

"There sure is alot of talking and not enough helping my fiancée. I give no shits right now about my damn self, help her." I bit out.

An hour into them working on her Donovon  places a hand on my shoulder as I sit here beside her bed, "she is responding to the treatment. The toxin in her system was a little amount of cyanide. We got to her in time."

Cyanide?

"Order every server that worked tonight into the dinning room. Ask Dimitri to come and watch her. You and I are on a hunt." I announce.

"We have cameras in the kitchen too. We need those as well." I add before grabbing another wheelchair to sit on--and moving towards the door, "and grab Erica. She needs to be one accounted for tonight as I ordered her to give clothes to Sienna and to be escorted by one of my men to dinner." I recall the grimace Erica gave me for even mentioning Sienna.

No one will slip through the cracks. I will find who dare try to kill my woman.

I hated the look on her face when she told me she hated me and told me she would make my life a living hell.

She was right because I'm already living in hell as I told her. She is my damnation.

I killed Riverton for a reason.

But all she sees is me killing a man she thought he was good.

Little did she know that he went to me and told me everything. Letting me listen to the camrecorder and reading his notes.

This was after that girl Samantha was being interrogated by me and told me she wouldn't speak. I gave her approval for being loyal to Sienna even after a very short encounter.

So I had the girl vow to me and swore her life into the sacred code and used my knife to slice the tip of her pinky off for her loyalty.

Oddly she seems okay with it. The twins look at me in utter surprise as to what I did.

But Riverton betrayed my woman and for that he got what he deserved.

Pride swells in me when Sienna did not budge when I threatened his life for her to tell me of what I already know. It was like a test really, a bad one but she never caved in.

Then she threatens me to take back the deal because she knows who she is. A deal I already know is invalid because she is no Galeon.

But a fucking Maritto. Much worse...

I know this because Dr. Riverton had done his research after she left the office. Then when he had the chance to see me when I came back fuming over Sienna being a total fucking brat about us not marrying and bringing an innocent civilian in this, he spills the tea to me. Everything clicked into focus now.

Only he didn't get the reaction he wanted from me.

"Sienna is mine. Her not being a Galeon won't change that." I vow to Riverton. 

At this point, I realize she is not my damnation but my salvation as those words slip through my mouth.

I will still get my revenge on Edmond Galeon just this time I want to play mind games with him as he did to her.

For fucking hurting and brainwashing Sienna and making her live with no worries of what it would do to her. Drugging her, lying to her, killing her slowly with a life like that...

So yes I'm marrying her and because she doesn't know that her words hit me like a bullet to the chest.

She had caught me off guard with her last words before she drank the wine.

Who would fall for someone like me, voluntarily?

Unfortunately, a crazy Italian woman with a big mouth that doesn't know when to shut up.

Tonights dinner was for me to tell her that I knew and didn't care who she was even though a Maritto blood is ten times worse to be caught up in. I could care less, but then she got poisioned.

Whoever troed to off her are dead already. They will feel my hands around their neck as I take there life away as they almost took hers.