chapter 10

Sienna Galeon

I imagined a different alternative how I was asked to be married. Where there were tears of love and laughter in bliss as the word 'yes' was the answer to my future proposal.

I knew he wouldn't like the idea nor entertain it but it still hurt when the word came out of his mouth in a disgusting tone dripping into the hostile air.

"No."

But my mouth moves on its own accord, "why not? It's a deal for deal I'm asking for. It would benefit me in protection and benefit you on the long haul. If we marry--" shit it would be a lie but he wouldn't know, "you'd get portion of the business marrying me. It would be easier for you to get the shipping companies." I explain.

Knowing my father would die before anyone could find out my Mama is with child in a early fragile stage in pregnancy. He would play by this game I just know and hope it'll work.

Truth be told, I don't know if my Papa gave me anything in my name of the family business. Especially now that Mama is pregnant with a boy that would be the next heir. But they wouldn't leave me empty handed, I know that for sure.

I had to play by play this in his favor, making it seem as if its a good choice in the matter. "I'm the only child and who I marry gets the better portion of business."

Nicolai seems to think this through as he taps his finger on his chin, eyes looking far away at this point, "as much as it makes sense I do not want to be married. I work  alone."

God this man is stubborn, "if you don't agree then I will not help you. Like I promised before...I will fight you through it all. Might as well kill me now...So take it or leave it. Better yet, think it over more." I abruptly stand from the table, chair screeching onto the expensive marble floor and pass by him.

A large hand encircles my wrist tugging me back, I gasp at the sudden movement.

Almost shoulder to shoulder while his side profile meets my eyes, "you have no idea the consequences of marrying me can obtain." He mumbles.

I yank my wrist out of his grasp and he willingly lets go, "and you seriously underestimate me, Nico."

It was sort of a threat but it felt good just to get the last word in before leaving him alone at the table and make way for the stairs.

As I make my way up to the bedroom a smile plasters on my face. Knowing that as of tonight I may very well be engaged. 

Heart be still.

Was it romantic, no. Was it the one I could possibly learn to love, doubtful. But this is my only way of being protected and my family from the Pakhan. Me giving the man entail and portions of the business while keeping his word that my parents won't be killed. Marriage will seal that deal in the long run.

Washing my face and freeing my hair from the braid I go to bed.

Only still the nightmares sleep with me.