chapter 5

Sienna Galeon

I should have worn a jacket. I didn't realize how long of a line it would be to get into the Hotel as is. Of course, I wouldn't have been behind a line of elegant people in gowns and suits if it weren't for my parents going ahead of me. They would've been regconized by the members in committee that had organized this party. They would just walked right on in.

I've never gone with them to parties or charities so how would they know me?

So I stay out in this chilly Chicago air, in line. I can hear my teeth clattering and nose turning pink. My breath fogging in the air. God let this line hurry up!

Finally after next Christmas, and showing the security my ID, I made it in.

Wow.

This place is bigger than I thought. The lobby is full of swimming gowns striding in the middle of a floor. Suits gathered with suits as they talk in groups. A big crystal chandelier hung up high and I can balcony inside looking out a skyline window. Music bombards me as some people dance on the dance floor. Tables and chairs at the sides and a big stage on the left. Waiters and waitresses hovering big platters of flutes and fresh crab cakes and more.

I'm a little out of my element.

What am I kidding?

I was born for this.

So I suck it up, straighten my spin and jutted my chin high as I walk through the sea of people. Swimming with them in fluid ease. Like I belong.

Until I see the scowls on my parents face coming straight for me. Mama looks up and down at me before sneering, "this is not what I had in mind young lady."

Papa lays a hand on her shoulder, "we don't have time for this, Mia Cara, I have to be at a meeting. Come now."

With one last scathing look they leave me. Flustered and burning with humiliation. A couple of eyes steer my way at the chastising they heard from Mama. A guy smirks and other chuckle, shaking their head.

So much for belonging. I can see it now, many peoples eyes looking this way. Am unfamiliar face to stare at and talk about in low murmurs.

Lips wobbling just a little and stride over towards the stairs, maybe they have a powder room up here somewhere?

I need a minute, just a minute to collect myself.

Tucking my purse under my arm I step up the long cased stairs with a velvet red carpet. My palm gliding up the stairs banister. The music thrumming into the air and chattering rumbling the between.

I didn't know exactly where to go but I liked how secluded some of these halls were. A couple straddlers here and there but not crowded. Stopping to catch a breather I admire the art work along the walls. They remind me of summer nights, and wishful thinking.

The music from the Gala had long been muffled from how far I have taken myself. I peek into a lowlight room finding a library in it. Further down seemed predictable since it was a dead end-but the last door on the left had a security guard standing outside it. Yicks maybe I should go back...

I turn around and find myself back at the library instead.

Plucking a small book from a shelf I open it, seeing that it was sectioned in romance.

I wish falling in love was like in the books.

Placing it back I walk further into the isles until I'm met with a cute little book shelf on its lonesome.

I see a book had been touched, it's barely tilting down, I grab it--

Click.

Click.