chapter 29

Sienna Galeon

I groan feeling a major headache and a case of cotton mouth. My eyes flutter open, wincing at the bright light above me.

Is this Heaven?

"She's awake." A deep familiar voice appears beside me. My vision is still blurry as three figures hover over me.

"God?" I ask out loud.

A deep chuckle brings my attention to one figure above me, "no, sweets. It's us...how are you feeling?"

I know that voice, "Dimitri?"

Vision clearing I look up to see Dimitri, Don, and Nicolais.

But my brown eyes only land on blue eyes, "give us a moment. I need to talk to her alone."

As if I want that. "Don't leave me here with him." I whisper.

But they pay no mind as they leave me alone with Nico.

Nico lifts his hand and lays it atop my weak hand, "Darling--"

"You tried to kill me--" I snap my hand away from his touch.

He sighs heavily turning to the side table and reaches for a cup of water I assume, then turns and offers it to me. I slap it out his hands and prop myself up on my elbows, "as if I'd drink anything from you again. You poisoned--"

He intrupts me, "Let me ex--"

I intrupt him in return, "No--"

He cuts me off, "Will you let me--"

"No." I counter with a glare.

Nicolai looks at me in utter disbelief to my stubbornness, "for the love of Russia, let me speak, please." He pleas.

I'm stunned to even hear such a word as 'please' coming out of his mouth that I'm at lost with words at the moment.

He grabs my hand and intertwines our fingers, my eyes fixated on them when he speaks, "why would you think I'd want to kill you, darling?" He asks, eyes searching my face when I look up at him.

I stay silent when he continues, "I had reasons to kill Riverton."

"Yeah, sure." I sarcastically shot back.

"Fucking shut your mouth and listen to me. Push aside the attitude and craziness for one second." He grumbles.

I seal my lips seeing his eyes pentrate mine when he starts, "you thought I'd kill you because you are no blood of Edmond."

My eyes widen with a gasp leaving my lips, "how--how?"

"How did I know? Well as I was saying before....I killed Riverton for a reason. Look, Sienna, I'm all about loyalty and devotion in my Empire. It's important to me. Right when we got back from town he had a chance to tell me everything of what you both talked about... he even thought to research and find out what I assume you already know by the other girls laptop." He explains.

Nico continues tightening his grip on my weak hand, "at that moment I knew when he told me about you, he had sealed his fate. Because if he could betray you with your secrets, then what is he able to do with mine?"

He has a point there.

His words embark into my mind when I listen to every word, "I am not my father. You see, my father killed to kill only. He didn't have to have reasons other than a sadistic fetish to feel self power. I lived in a life full of blood and gore. I grew up in a murderers home as he slaughters men for even looking at him wrong."