chapter 60

Sienna Stone

The ballroom is huge. All elegant and stylish with colors of ruby red and silvers decorated on the banisters, tables, and ceiling. Crystal chandeliers twinkling above and people pouring in from the front doors. Gowns, suits, masks flowing around the lobby floor. For Nico and Shina to be in the car to arrive has not shown yet as I stand here up high on the upper floor by the staircase. The twins have left not long ago to be at their position up the roof top. Caspian should be around somewhere as well.

I'm sure no one has noticed since the rich seem to be so endowed with conversations on the floor, probably about who donated the most for the charity to boost their social standings.

I have yet to see Edmond or his wife, but I finally catch an eye of familiar figures coming in through the entrance finally. Nico and Shina.

Shina arm is looped under Nicos as there enter. My breathing heightens at the sight of him in his suit and mask. It's a simple black mask, but it looks so lewd on him that I can't keep my eyes off his every move.

He has not once looked up here where I stand, yet he knows where I am since this is where he wanted to try to lure Edmond up to a hotel room we bought.

Speaking of the man, there he is, finally.

I tense up feeling a cold sweat run down my neck, my hands clinging onto the banister. My gut swoops in unease as I can not see Edmonds wife.

He came in alone.

This wasn't part of the plan! This whole plan was to get his wife in our custody, so where is she?

This isn't like them. They both always joined together in these events. Ever since I was little, they have been inseparable for these things, but now, Edmond came alone...

Merda! Does that mean this mission is over already?

My eyes look for Nico until they land on him. My eyes widen when I see that he is already looking up at me. I couldn't quite tell what his expression is beneath that mask, but something seems off about the way he nods his head once at me.

As if it's okay, keep on with the plan. But this entire plan was for the wife?

Nico then looks away from me and whispers in Shina's ear before they both part ways while she goes and gets flutes of champagne from a table. My husband takes a seat at a table and starts a conversation with others as if nothing is amiss in this mission.

I gulp down my nerves and rid my anxiety, or try to when I watch Edmond walk alone around the busy floor. He is the only one not wearing a mask, as if he wants to be seen in the fray of masked strangers.

I blow out air through my mouth and try to compose myself calmly. My fingers are trembling from not knowing how this will work out in the end. For what Nicolai must be thinking...

A loud noise comes put from my right as it startles me. Taking my attention away from the people below and my eyes off the initial target. A man and woman are down the all, laughing and getting hands with each other as a man tries to find something in his pocket while kissing the woman.

Staring at them, an image in mind has me invisoning how life would be like with just a simple life like that. Two people, care free, nothing but time and enjoyment. A normal life just bumping uglies and living the best.

I wanted that so bad. It haunts me.

Instead, I live in a nightmare of a world.

Staring for too long until they both rush into the room and close the door, a familiar voice whispers down the back of my neck, feeling a heavy presence behind me, having my skin crawl, "He said you wouldn't be here tonight. I guess this is a given, yes?"