chapter 34

Nicolai Stone

It's Christmas morning when I get a visitor at my front steps. Dimitri and Donovon had escorted the visitor to my Den. I wasn't happy about who it is, especially when our past with each other didn't end well.

Sienna should still be asleep, it's only five in the morning. I suppose I tired her out from our sexapades. Because she loves a good fucking to put her to sleep it seems. She doesn't toss and turn or have nightmares anymore.

I stand up holding my cane in hand,walking to my window in my Den. The snow finally makes its appearance as white crystal flakes fall down unto the ground-sticking.

I hate snow.

"Pahkan, we have Caspian here for you." Donovan tells me from the door.

If only I had a Christmas miracle wish and wished the past away, but I knew it would eventually come back and bite me in the ass, "show him in." I turn around and take a seat behind my desk. Placing my cane by me, I lean back in my chair.

Caspian walks in with a grey suit, his facial hair grew fast the time I seen him just yesterday. The twins close the door behind them as they are probably waiting outside the door--easedropping.

Caspian greets, "you really thought I'd not see through your lie when you told me we'd meet again?"

I shrug a shoulder, "I was counting on it."

He takes a sit across my desk and looks around my office, "you really out did yourself. After all these years...you were here while I rot in prison. " His voice monotone.

I truly don't want to reminisce the past with him, "when did you get out?"

"About a month ago. I have been living under the radar." Casp mutters while leaning back on his chair and crosses one leg over his knee, "you must have been busy to know of my freedom."

"Why are you here, Casp." I ask him, voice low.

He picks a piece of lint off his shoulder before speaking, "I'm here for my daughter, why else would I be here, Nics?"

Something murderous awakens in me to his words, "you can't have her. She is my wife now--"

"Did you know?" He cuts me off.

Tilting my head confused, "know what?"

Caspian downcast his eyes to the carpet, "that she was mine before you married her?"

Yes and no. "Does it matter?"

"It does when my old friend of twenty years is fucking my daughter." He snaps.

"Don't--" I bit out, each word I give him is nothing but a death wish, "--ever, speak of my wife in that way again."

If this keeps going one of us is coming out alive and one on their death bed.

But then Casp starts to chuckle and shakes his head, he slaps his hand on his knee, "you should have seen your face just then."

What?

My confusion must have shown because he laughs again, "my daughter has you wrapped around her finger. Merda. This is something else."

I don't like what he is saying nor the way he is laughing at me. So I slap my palm atop my desk--which rattles the items atop it. Casp closes his mouth while I glare at him, "I see that prison hasn't jaded your humorous whims." I grumble.

"You'd be surprised how 15 years of prison can do to a made man, Nics. It changes your outlook in life. I had plenty of times to escape that hell hole."

"Why didn't you?"

Casp looks me in the eyes, "whenever I found out my oldest son, Devon, died do too a gun shot by a gang after I sent him to get Sienna from the Galeons and place her under Devons care. My sanity kind of flipped a switch. Realizing that I had led him to his death...its all my fault. So I stayed and knew Sienna is probably safer with the Galeons. You know what it's like for me being a Maritto. We come from old money but it's bathed in blood of slaughters."

I knew that but he is missing the bigger picture, "you said your son was shot in the head by a gang?"

He slowly nods, "that's what was told to me by the security in the prison, years ago."

Fuck. He doesn't know the truth of it. Sienna had told me her nightmares of the night she was a little girl trying to find her rabbit but instead found a murder scene.

"Casp, there is something you should know."

After telling him everything I knew he became mute and staring off into my fireplace, not meeting my eyes. I knew I at least owe him the full story to my knowledge because in ways I didn't even try to break my own friend out of jail. I didn't even send a letter. But I had my own problems as well.

A long silence fills the room until Caspian stands up from his chair, which causes me to stand up and grab my cane when he finally speaks, "Edmond Galeon is a dead man." He growls before turning around and walking to the door.

I stop him, "then let me help. I have been planning on getting back at Edmond for years. I have bones to pick with him too."

"Yes, kill. That is the only plan there should be--"

"Net. Killing him off is merciful. We need to destroy him first." I counter, interrupting him.

He looks at me, frowning, "does Sienna know how to fight?"

What? "No, I don't think she knows combative arts. Why?" I ask. He gives me a serious look.

I stomp my cane onto the carpet, "she will not be in this fight."

"But she needs to know self defense. She isnt safe either way if we start something."

Fuck he is right. "I'll have the twins--"

Casp shakes his head, "let me. Nicolai, you know I've been trained in combat, martial arts and the best knife fighter you know. Remember who taught you how to slit the throat of your father."

I shut down the memories quickly, "fine. But she decides if she wants that. I won't decide this for her."

Casp smiles, "I guess I'm not going straight to redemption after all."

Going straight to prison again if he isn't careful. He has no men, no army.

And I can't spare any men for him because deep down I find myself not trusting him even if we're friends from the past.

Who knows what lies beneath the surface in him with 15 years of prison, he never said what it did to him nessassarly, only that his sanity was involved.

I need eyes on him especially if he is around Sienna.

"I'll be here tomorrow." Casp says before opening the door and letting the twins escort him out.

Not looking forward to it.