9 - Kids these days

The rest of the week is stressful. I hate having to keep things from Ella but since I know she'd freak out if she knew I made out with Negan for more meds, I have to hide them in her food. The other thing that's stressing me out is that there are only a few pills left and I don't know what to do when we run out. And the last thing that stresses me out is Ella herself.

She's been in the worst of moods ever since Ron died. All she seems to think about is how to take revenge on Negan and how to get rid of him and the Saviours and I don't manage to get through to her at all. She's been hanging out with Carl a lot and I have to say I'm kind of glad for it, because she hasn't exactly been pleasant company for me.

But we were supposed to have lunch together today and when she doesn't show up, I start to feel a little nervous. Even when we're not on the best terms, Ella usually keeps her promises. It's unlike her not to show up without letting me know anything.

Still, it could just be her acting up again. She also promised to help me cut bandages from old linen later this afternoon so I decide to let it go until then. I'm sure she will show up for that.

She doesn't. And I start to feel nervous. I've lowered her dose so the meds will last longer but I'm not sure that will keep her entirely safe from any attacks. Something might have happened. I'm sure she'll be annoyed if I come drag her away from her friends, but I don't care. I decide to go over to Rick's place to find her and make sure she's okay.

'Ella? Are you here?' I ask as I knock on the door and walk in without waiting for an answer. Nobody answers me, so I decide to go into the dining room where I find Olivia with her back to me at the table, carrying Judith on her lap.

'Olive', I greet her. To my surprise, she jumps a little when I call out to her and when she turns around to look at me, her face is full of anguish.

'What's wrong?' I ask worriedly.

'Nothing's wrong!'

I jump too when I hear a familiar voice calling out cheerfully behind me. I'm stunned into silence for a moment when Negan appears in the doorway to the kitchen, wearing an apron and carrying a large pot of pasta sauce. He smiles cheerfully at me while he walks over to the table to place the pot in the middle.

'Just a second', he tells me, before he walks right back into the kitchen.

'What the hell is going on?' I ask Olivia in complete amazement. 'Have you seen Ella? Is she here?'

'Yes, she's-'

'Chris!'

To my great relief, Ella stumbles out of the kitchen and runs straight into my arms. I hug her back uncertainly when she throws her arms around me and watch Negan walk out of the kitchen again, carrying a bowl of cooked spaghetti this time. Carl is the last one to appear, bringing a basket of bread to the table.

'Ella...' I begin, watching everything in confusion. 'What happened?'

'I'll tell you what happened, doctor', Negan announces. He appears to be in a good mood. That only worries me more.

'Carl, go get some plates', he orders before he does tell me.

Carl disappears into the kitchen again and Negan starts to untie the very uncharacteristic apron he's wearing.

'Your sister and pirate boy decided to pay me a visit. To kill me.'

He tosses the untied apron to Ella who glares at him furiously, but catches it anyway.

'Go put that away, sweetheart', he tells her. Reluctantly, she does what he asks and goes to the kitchen as well. I'm still trying to process what he's saying as I watch her walk away.