17 - Done something right

'Where were you?'

Ella practically jumps me when I enter the room, snapping me back into reality. My mind was still halfway in Negan's room, going over and over everything that just happened.

I think it went well. I kept it together, even when he put his hands all over me to 'pat me down' for a hidden scalpel. I still don't think that was really necessary but well... if it helped me earn his favour a little, I suppose it was worth it.

'Relax', I tell her. 'I was with Negan for a moment.'

'With Negan?' she asks nervously. 'Why? Did he tell you to come see him?'

'No', I say, pacing around a little. I feel too pumped up to sit down after all the nerves that went through me while talking to Negan. 'Eugene came to see me. Seems like he's all on Negan's team now.'

'Really?' Ella asks indignantly. 'How can he be on this asshole's team, he murdered-'

'I know', I say, cutting her off. 'I really don't know. But it doesn't matter, because we can use it to our advantage. Eugene put in a good word for us and arranged a meeting with Negan for me.'

'So this was part of your plan to get him to trust us?' Ella asks skeptically.

'Yes. What? You don't approve?' I ask, seeing the look on her face.

'I still think it's a stupid plan', she mumbles. 'I don't like you spending time with him alone, it's not safe.'

'Don't you worry about me', I tell her again. 'It went fine. I just told him that I'm willing to give this place a chance. And he even apologised for the way he treated us back at Alexandria. I wasn't expecting that. Then we shook hands on a new beginning. This is a good thing, you know.'

'A great thing', Ella says sarcastically.

'Come on now', I plead with her. 'I'm trying to get us out of here. You think I liked looking that man in the eye right there, pretending that I could forgive him for what he's done to us?'

Ella sighs, but seems to relent a little.

'Just be careful', she says finally. 'Should I act like I like it here too?'

I look at her for a moment, contemplating that question. Would anyone believe that the girl that jumped on a truck to try and kill Negan would just give in and accept her place here? I doubt it.

'Nah', I tell her. 'I think it will be more realistic if you just keep playing the part of the sulky teenager.'

'I'm not playing anything', she says, offended.

'I know', I respond, smiling a little. 'That's the sad part.'

---

It's another busy morning the next day. When there aren't any patients, I'm going through files that the last doctor made or preparing medication for regulars. So time flies by and I don't even realize it's time for lunch until Cal announces it.

'Lunchtime', he says, shutting the book he's been reading with a loud slap. 'Let's go.'

'Go?' I ask confused. 'We're not having lunch here?'

'We're going down to the cafeteria', he says, getting up from his chair. 'Guess you must have done something right last night.'

Fuck, yes! If he's letting me go somewhere besides this fucking hallway, I must have done something right indeed. One small step towards more freedom.

'I assume you'll be accompanying me?' I ask, hurriedly shrugging off my doctor's coat to follow him outside.

'Trust me, I'm not happy about it either', he answers.