48 - He's bluffing

From the moment I wake up, I can't sit still for a single moment. Ella is already fed up with me by the time we get down to breakfast, but I just can't help myself. I'm too nervous about telling Ella. I've decided to do it tonight, right after dinner. So we can have some time to talk about it. This isn't the kind of thing to mention randomly at lunch, of course.

And then, this relationship with Negan will actually start. Another thought that fills me with nerves. But it's a better kind of nerves. All laced with excitement. I can't wait to be with him again.

But first, I'm going to have to make it through this damn day. Myeong and I are both in the doctor's office and she is getting agitated with my jittery behavior as well.

'What is wrong with you?' she asks exasperatedly when I bump into the counter, toppling everything over, for the second time today.

'Nothing', I say innocently, hurrying to put everything in its place again.

I gotta get it together. But I can't help myself. I just don't know how to break it all to Ella. Maybe I should start with the good news, tell her he'll let us visit Alexandria when it's safe. Maybe it will convince her that he's not as bad as he seems and she'll be happy for me when I tell her I want to be with him.

Yeah, I'm sure she'll be super excited! Maybe she'll break out in dance and sing you guys a love ballad!

Oh, who am I kidding? No matter what I say, she'll never understand. I'll just have to hope that she'll come to accept it in time.

I've just put everything back when all of a sudden there is a loud noise, startling me into tumbling everything over again. Myeong shoots me an annoyed look, but before she can say anything, the sound happens again, longer this time. Shortly after, we can hear people yelling outside and two Saviours run past our office in the hallway.

'Was that... gunfire?' Myeong asks, sounding scared.

'Sounds like it', I say uneasily. We both move quickly to the widow to look outside and see what's going on. What I find there, chills my blood.

Cars and other vehicles have lined up in front of the walls. Some sort of armour is attached to it, protecting the people behind it from bullets coming from the Sanctuary. Of course, there's no question as to who might be hiding there. It must be Rick and the others making the first move in this goddamn war.

'Open the window', Myeong says. 'I want to hear what's happening.'

I do as she says and we both strain our ears to listen. They're not that close to us so it's difficult to make out what they're saying exactly. But it's definitely Rick that's talking.

I can hear Negan too now, but I can't see him from here. He must be on the platform overlooking the courtyard. My anxiety is going through the roof. What if he's in danger? I don't want him to get hurt and at the same time, I don't want anyone from the communities to get hurt either. Ugh, why did they have to do this?

'Doc.'

A voice coming from the door startles us both and we practically jump to turn around and see who it is. I should have recognized him by his voice, but I was too distracted by what was going on outside. Simon is leaning against the doorpost and beckons me to come with him.

'Negan needs you.'

'Why?' I ask worriedly. 'Is he hurt?'

'Just follow me, doc', he says, already turning around. I throw a look at Myeong and she looks as confused as I feel. Negan's talking to Rick, right? What could he possibly need me for right now? We just heard him a few seconds ago, didn't seem like he got shot or something. But I suppose maybe he wants me close by in case something happens.