28 - Carnage

I went to bed feeling pretty pleased with myself, but of course, that's when everything gets disrupted once more.

'Oh my God, not again', Ella mumbles when we're woken up by loud knocking on the door.

Despite the vastness of sleep, I decide to jump out of bed and put some clothes on right away, before they decide to drag me away before I get the chance again.

I'm just zipping up my jeans when the door gets thrown open.

'I'm telling you right now, I'm not going anywhere without my shoes on!' I yell out before I even see who it is.

'Sure, doc, but hurry. It's going to be a long night.'

I look back quickly in surprise when I recognize Cal's voice. He doesn't usually work at night.

'What's going on?' I ask as I plunge down to tie my shoes. There's a slight moment of hesitation before he answers.

'Some chick from Alexandria burst in and shot a bunch of people.'

'What?' Ella and I ask at the same time.

'Who?' Ella adds.

'I don't know her fucking name, do I?' he responds shortly.

'What does she look like?' Ella asks agitatedly. 'Was it Enid?'

I can hear the hope mingled with fear in her voice. I know how much she misses her friends. But if Enid were here, she wouldn't exactly be in any kind of good position. Anyway, I can't imagine the timid girl bursting in here, guns a-blazing.

'I haven't seen her', Cal says, sounding impatient. 'Are you ready, Chris?'

'Yes', I say, jumping up. 'How many people injured? Anyone killed?'

'Three dead, five injured. Two seem critical, but what do I know?'

'What about the woman from Alexandria?' I ask anxiously.

'Alive', he says dismissively, making it clear he won't be answering any other questions. 'Now come on.'

'Ella, you get dressed as well', I order her as I make my way to Cal. 'And have the guard bring you to me. I'm going to need help.'

'But...', she argues.

'Please, El', I say adamantly. I know she doesn't like blood, but she's helped me before and I'm going to need more hands if I'm to take care of 5 severely injured people.

I don't wait for her answer and pray she'll do as I asked while I follow Cal. We don't go to the doctor's office. Instead, he takes me downstairs.

'Too many for our office', he explains shortly. Our office. He says it casually and even in the midst of everything it occurs to me that the two of us have become somewhat of a team in the time I've been here. I'm glad it's him that came to fetch me instead of Simon. Thinking back to what happened with Walter, I hope that maniac won't be anywhere near.

'Oh, shit', I exclaim when we walk onto the scene. They've dragged the victims of the shooting into a room where workers usually sleep on mattresses on the floor. I guess they've been sent elsewhere and I hope they'll be receiving new mattresses, because everything is covered in blood.

For a moment, I'm frozen. There are too many patients and only one of me. Cal was right, two of them are definitely critical. Another one looks bad as well. The other two don't seem to be hit in critical places, but they'll need attending to as well.

'Chris?' Cal says, snapping his fingers in front of me to get my attention. It seems that he's been talking to me, but it went straight past me.

'What did you say?'