23 - Good news

'So what did he want?'

'What?'

'What did he want?' Ella repeats impatiently. I look up at her as I close the door and try to get my mind to focus. But it's hard, because I left Negan's room and made my way to ours in a bit of a daze.

'Nothing', I say stupidly.

'Nothing?' Ella repeats, raising her eyebrow skeptically. 'Why did he order you to come to his room for nothing?'

'I mean, no, not nothing.'

I shake my head, trying to clear it. I must look like a crazy person to Ella. But I can't help it. That kiss! I never should have done it. But I did. And now I can't focus.

'No, there was something', I say, getting excited as I remember what led to the kiss in the first place. 'Ella, I have great news.'

She leans back a little when I rush over and grab her arms, an expression on her face that tells me she really does think I've lost my mind.

'He found more of your meds.'

'Who did?' She asks, confused. 'Negan?'

'Yes!' I yell, a broad smile breaking through on my face. 'Enough to last us years, a decade at least. I haven't counted them yet, but from what I could see it's like 5 times more than what we had.'

'Really?' she asks sounding more anxious than excited for some reason. 'Why would he do that for us?'

Then suddenly her face darkens and she looks at me closely.

'Chris, did he make you do something for it? Is that why you were acting so weird?'

My smile falters a little bit. No, he didn't make me do anything. He didn't have to.

I don't know what came over me. I came on to him like I was drowning and he was the air I needed to breath. My cheeks burn at the thought of his strong arms around me. His hard chest under my hands. His fingers wrapped through my hair. His hot mouth on mine.

There was a knock on the door. It startled me back into reality and I practically jumped away from him. He looked at me with gentle eyes, but then there was another knock and his face turned to a look of annoyance.

'What the fuck is it?' He yelled at the door.

Somebody hesitantly opened the door and a man I'd never seen before peeked inside.

'Um, I'm here for our meeting, sir.'

Negan opened his mouth, ready to shout at him, but then seemed to catch himself in the last moment.

'Shit, Gavin, you're fucking right', he said, running his hand over his face. 'I double booked. Come back tomorrow.'

Gavin nodded and already got ready to leave the room, but now, out of Negan's embrace, the reality of what I was doing hit me.

'No, wait!' I yelled, causing Negan and Gavin both to look at me. 'Have your meeting. I should go.'

'I want you to stay, Christina', Negan said in a husky voice that made shivers run down my spine.

'No', I said, stepping away from him before he could stop me. 'I have to go. I have a... thing. I can't... I don't...'

I didn't make any sense. Negan stood there, staring at me as I made my way awkwardly to the door. He crossed his arms slowly across his chest and looked at me with a mixture of amusement and disappointment in his eyes.

'Thank you again', I say, glancing over at the boxes. 'So... bye.'

Then I pushed past Gavin and ran down the hall to my room, my heart pounding loudly all the way. Negan didn't try to stop me, even though I broke his rule of walking around without a guard. But I'm in no state to be trying anything and I think that was obvious to him.