13.

I was getting ready in my hut while my mom was petting her Ilu outside. I put on my shell top and decorate my braids with hair jewelry as usual. I then take my bow and see my mom entering the hut. She smiles at me and speaks up.

"Did you sleep well?

- Yes, and you? I ask.

- Perfectly." She says.

I take some arrows with me, just in case I want to hunt on the roots during the day. I suddenly hear my mom's voice echoing in the hut again.

"By the way, I saw you walking back from your campfire with Tsireya and some newcomers.

- Yes, their name is Kirri, Neteyam and Lo'ak." I answer.

I hear her chuckling so I turn to her and meet her gaze, she speaks up.

"I thought you weren't going to hang out with them?" She says.

And it was true. I wasn't planning on being friends with them four days ago when they came here. But apparently, a lot of things can happen in four days.

"Yes, well I changed my mind." I say as I chuckle.

She giggles before walking over me and laying her hand on my cheek, tenderly caressing it.

"I am happy you are making some friends. Your father would be so proud of you." She says.

I hate when she brings everything about my father. I wouldn't even call him my father since he didn't raise me. He left before I was born and never came back. But if it makes my mom happy to think that, then I am happy too.

"Thank you mom." I shyly smile at her.

She smiles back and finally lets me go. I leave the hut and go join Tsireya on the beach where everyone usually take breakfast. I see her sitting alone with a coconut filled with milk in her hands, she was probably waiting for me. I walk over her and she notices me.

"Hiii." She says with a smile.

I wave at her and sit next to her, she hands me her coconut to offer me some milk.

"Thank you." I say as I take the coconut.

I drink a few sips before giving it back to her. She takes it and drink the milk before wiping her mouth. She stays silent but I know damn well she just wants to talk about what she saw yesterday night. And it really isn't such a big deal, I just talked to a guy. Literally I don't get why she is so excited about it.

"I saw you talking to Neteyam around the campfire and when we walked you back to your house..." She whispers as she takes another sip of her coconut.

I chuckle before turning my head to her, she stays silent and keep looking forward in an innocent way. I keep telling myself that maybe she should know I talked to Neteyam way before the Ilu lesson and everything else.

I take a deep breath and sigh before finally deciding to tell her everything.

"I have already been talking to Neteyam way before all of this." I say unexpectedly.

She widens her eyes and turns to me in a shocked way. Her mouth was wide open, her jaw just dropped on the floor. I could tell she felt betrayed since I didn't tell her anything.

"What? Where?! When?!" She asks yelling.

I giggle before telling her to lower her voice, she apologizes before putting her coconut on the sand in order to draw her whole attention on me.

"The night after they arrived, on the roots, and the night after." I answer.

She frowns in a betrayed way and I can't hold back my laugh. She hits me on the shoulder making me tilt back a little bit.