40. Getting caught

BAM!

Minho and Jisung startled awake, woken up by the sound of a door slamming near them.
Before they could fully realise what was happening, a figure was already coming their way.
A man with broad shoulders paced towards the two and leaned over Minho. The man would have grabbed Minho by his collar, but since he was shirtless the man grabbed him by the throat.

Jisung froze in fear. He couldn't move, even if he wanted to. The sheets and his cold sweat tied him to the bed.
When his eyes finally pried to the side to look at Minho, he was even more shocked to see his expression. Minho looked scared too, of course, but that wasn't the only thing. He looked angry.

"HOW DARE YOU LIE WITH ANOTHER MAN!" The man shouted at Minho.

Minho grabbed the man's wrist in an attempt to remove the hand from his throat. The fingers slipped for a moment but then tightened their grip again.

"HAVE I NOT BEATEN YOU ENOUGH?"

Minho's dad. That man was Minho's dad, Jisung realised. And he was not happy to see the two of them together.

Minho finally ripped the arm away from him and jolted out of bed. Coughing a little when he did. The grip his dad had had on him must have been tight. Red marks were left behind on Minho's throat.

"What I do with who I do it with is none of your concern." Minho stretched out his arm, putting a barrier between his dad and Jisung.

Jisung finally came to his senses and scrambled up. Gripping the black sheets to cover himself.

Minho's dad seemed to realise he wasn't just a dad, but also a principle. A principle of the other boy in the room.

"We should talk in the living room. Now!" Minho's father demanded. Minho hesitated but his dad gave him a threatening look. So Minho agreed.

Before he closed the door of the bedroom he said to Jisung, "Don't come out, no matter what. After I close this door, lock yourself in."

"But Minho-"

"Just do it!" He slammed the door shut.

Jisung couldn't move himself from the bed to lock the door. He didn't want to. All he wanted was to run out there and protect Minho. Of course Jisung wouldn't stand a chance. Minho was far stronger than Jisung, how could Jisung possibly protect his boyfriend.

At first it was silent.

Then the yelling began.

Minho and his dad yelled back and forth. His dad called him all kinds of slurs and even brought up the death of Minho's mom in the conversation. Saying how Minho should have died instead of his wife.

Jisung almost ran out there.

Then someone got hit. Not just a slap. Then a thud.

Jisung began sweating even more. Though he couldn't tell if it was sweat or tears rolling down his face.
Jisung grabbed the sheets tightly. The cotton sheets shivered along with Jisung's shaking hands.

A couple more fainted thuds followed.

Then silence.

Then a last slam of a door. The front door to the dorm.

Jisung could barely stand on his legs. His anxiety filling up his entire body. The blood sucked from his limbs, flooding to his brain.

"Minho?" Jisung called out weakly when he reached his end of the door.

No reaction.

"Minho, are you there?" Jisung called out again, a little louder this time.

Again it was only followed by an ear-deafening silence.

"Minho, please." Jisung cried.

Of course Minho didn't reply. Again. Jisung had to do something. He didn't know what happened, but he had to take care of Minho. If Minho was fine he would've come to get Jisung and calm him down.

With shaking hands Jisung opened the door. Slowly it creaked open. The door squeezed with every centimeter it opened.

The opening in the door became bigger. Centimeter by centimeter it revealed more of Minho.

Feet.

Legs.

Waist.

Shoulders.

Head.

Jisung bolted towards Minho in the living room, where he was laying unconscious.
Jisung sank to his knees and bowed over Minho, tightly holding onto his boyfriend.

"Minho? Minho, wake up, please!" Jisung shook Minho gently but he didn't move. A little harder he shook him again. Then violently.
"WAKE UP!" Jisung cried out loud.

Finally Minho opened his eyes. Barely blinking against the light.

Then he passed out again.

Jisung screamed and cried, but Minho's eyes stayed closed.
Not knowing what to do, Jisung called Lewis.

"Come on, pick up, pick up, pick up." Jisung anxiously waited while the phone went over.

"Dick so good you can't walk anymore and need me to pick you up?" Lewis sounded barely awake when he finally picked up.

"Lewis... Minho, he's- he's-" Jisung started sobbing again. His heart was pounding in his chest and all his limbs were shaking.

Immediately Lewis's tone changed. "What's wrong? What happened?"

Jisung could barely talk in between sobs. Lewis told Jisung to stay with Minho while he called an ambulance and hurried on his way.

Together they watched as Minho got put on the stretcher and loaded into the ambulance. One passenger was allowed to ride the ambulance with Minho. Lewis told Jisung to go, he himself could take his own car to the hospital later.

The ride to the hospital was one big blur for Jisung. His thoughts drowned out the beeping sounds of the machines in the ambulance. Though the paramedics told Jisung not to worry, he couldn't help it. His love was laying unconsciously in front of him and it was his fault. It was his fault he went back to Minho's dorm. His fault for not checking if the door was locked. His fault for laying naked next to Minho.

His fault for loving Minho.

When they finally arrived, the paramedics took their time taking Minho out of the ambulance and into the hospital.
Though it should have been a sign that Minho's condition wasn't serious, it still made Jisung nervous. What if they weren't rushing and something happened inside Minho's body in that time and he died?
Part of Jisung knew that these were just his intrusive thoughts, but he couldn't help it.

No it's fine, they even drove with the sirens off. That means it's not an emergency. He tried to convince himself. But all Jisung could picture in his head was Minho who still hadn't woken up.

In the hospital a nurse tried to comfort him. She had received a small report of Minho's condition and told Jisung he could go see Minho soon.
But as long as Minho was unconscious, Jisung wasn't sure if he could handle seeing him like that.
All he could do was sit on a chair outside Minho's room. Silently he waited until the nurse called him again.

Luckily Lewis arrived before the nurse was done taking care of Minho. Being comforted by Lewis felt a lot better than being comforted by a stranger.
Though Lewis repeated pretty much the same as the paramedics and nurse said, it made Jisung feel at ease.

"I wish I wasn't his boyfriend." Jisung said while staring at the closed door in front of him.

"What do you mean?" Lewis immediately turned to look at Jisung. He knew the two boys were inseparable, yet Jisung was saying this.

Jisung began crying again. "It all happened because of me." He brought his hands to his face and sobbed in there. "It's all my fault, Lewis. It's all MY fault."

Before Lewis could say anything, the nurse came out of Minho's room.

"You may see the patient now."