Chapter 52

I could see the top of Jacks head from my window. His back was hunched forward slightly because of his height. He grabbed the car door handle and yanked it open with much force. I could see the anger in his body movements. He quickly threw his self in the car and sped away towards the airport.

A ping of guilt shot through my veins as his car drove out of view. My harsh words hurt both of us but they were the truth. I'm glad he didn't put up a big fight. The thing that bothered me the most was he said he'd wait. Those are the exact words I told Hayes. He probably spat them out and felt just as much pain as I did when I said them to Hayes. I hate seeing him in pain. It's like stabbing my self over and over every harsh word I threw at him. He doesn't deserve me. He deserves better.

Four long days went by at school. I didn't see Hayes anywhere. He wasn't at school. I saw Nash a couple of times but he couldn't seem to keep eye contact with me. He would always give me the same sad smile as he passed. I never thought about the effect of breaking Hayes' heart would hurt Nash too. He was mad but also sad for us. I could tell by the way his deep blue eyes looked at me with pity and sorrow.

I missed late nights with the Griers. I missed sitting on the couch in between the two close brothers. I missed it all.
They weren't coming back and it was a hard obstacle to face.