Chapter 20

I woke up to laughing downstairs. Who was here? Then it hit me. Hayes. I knew his laugh. So sweet and soft. I sat up and looked in the mirror across my room. I looked like shit. My eyes were red and puffy. My hair was in a big sloppy bun. My wrist were throbbing with pain. I didn't care. I don't care about anything any more. I flopped back down into my warm cozy bed. I heard foot steps coming up the stairs. Probably Ryan coming to tell me it's time to leave. The door Opened but it wasn't Ryan. There stood Hayes. He was wearing a maroon and red checkered button down. He wore khakis and grey vans with white Nike socks.

"Sophie, what are you doing still in bed" he said softly and comforting.

Before I could answer he jumped into my bed beside me. He put his arm around me. His hands were warm.

"We gotta go to school. I know you don't want to but it will make you look strong. You can't let her over power you" he whispered.

"She already has over powered me. I'm not strong. And she's already won so what's the point" I questioned.

"She hasn't won, and you are strong. I'm going to stand by your side and work you through this" he replied trying to reassure me.

It wouldn't work. I have lost. I can't beat the devil. I felt Hayes hands grab my feet. He started to pull me out of bed.

"I can't go to school with out you" Hayes said trying to convince me.

Screw it I'm not leaving Hayes alone at school. Even though I know he can fight her off I want to be with him.

"I can call one of Nash's friends to drive us or we can be late and walk?" Hayes suggested.

"Let's be late. I don't want to walk past her in the morning" I said with a lump in my throat.