Chapter 31

My body was in so much pain. I guess I feel asleep in the ambulance because I was now in a long and warm bed. I turned my head and saw a IV cord leading into my arm. The lights were really bright. The room was quiet. I looked over to my right and saw a pile of bloody clothes. My heart sank and I was in reality again. I'd been raped.

"Nurse" I tried to speak but it was hard.

"Coming" I heard following with foot steps. "I'm glad to see you awake sweetie your sister and brother are in the waiting room. We couldn't seem to get ahold of your parents"

"I'm not surprised" I mumbled as she gave me a weak smile.

"There's also two other boys. The younger one of them hasn't left since you've came in" the nurse said trying to cheer me up with a big warm smile.

"Can I see them?" I asked.

"Yes but I think it's best for family only" the young nurse replied.

"Can I see them after family?" I said sounding so desperate.

"Fine. It's our little secret"

I heard feet shuffling outside of my room then I saw two familiar faces.

"Sophie.... Are you okay" Kaylie said with sorrow in her voice as she ran towards me.

She pulled the chair beside the hospital bed and grabbed my hand. I've never seen Kaylie so worried in my life. It sure felt good to see one family member caring about me.

"Yeah, just a lot of pain" I replied with a lump deep in my throat.

I looked over at Ryan. I could tell he was really worried by the expression on his face. He stood in the door way looking down at his feet. I know he'd done something wrong. He hasn't been the same with me in weeks. He's always short in conversations. I knew that he was friends with Abby but what else was he hiding?

I looked back at Kaylie. She looked so concerned. I thought I saw a tear forming in Kaylie's eye when someone busted through the door.

"Sophie... Oh my god" Hayes yelled out running towards me.

His eyes were puffy and red. His bright blue eyes were more red then blue. He'd been crying... Over me. I sat up quickly to pull him in for a hug. When I sat up I quickly regretted it. A huge shot of pain shot through my body. I yelped in pain and laid back down.

"This is my fault" Hayes said sitting down on the edge of the bed.

"Hayes come on don't stress her out" Kaylie and Nash said at the same time.

"Can I have a minute with her?" Hayes asked eyeing Nash in the doorway beside Ryan.

Everyone left except Hayes. It was just Hayes and I.

"I'm not trying to stress you out anymore but I have a big question to ask you" Hayes said looking deep in my eyes.

I was almost scared of what he had to say.

"We need to take him to court. He attacked you. He deserves jail time. Will you press charges?" Hayes said grabbing my hands as he spoke so fast.

He wanted me to go to court. Face Grayson. The guy I thought was my friend but ended up being a monster. My parents aren't even here. I have nobody to talk to. It feels like I have nobody at all. The last thing I want to do is blow this whole thing up and make it worse.

"Hayes I don't know" I said with tears forming in my eyes.

"Think about it Soph the nurse had a rape kit. They know it was Grayson. There's a crime scene. There's two witnesses, me and you" Hayes poured out as he stood up and started pacing around the room.

"Hayes..." I couldn't couldn't complete my sentence. Elizabeth barged into the room.

"Come on Sophie your staying at our house for awhile" Elizabeth said with out even asking me.

"Umm my parents should be home soon.. I mean be here soon" I stuttered.

"Sophie we don't know where your parents are. They aren't answering their phones" Elizabeth said as a nurse came in.

So much stuff was happening at once. I couldn't think right. Thoughts and commands were running through my mind. I wanted to explode.

"STOPPP" I yelled over all the voices and commotion.

Everyone stopped talking and looked at me wide eyed. They all waited for my next command. Before I said anything I thought this whole idea through. I think it's a good Idea to be around Elizabeth because she's so easy to talk to. I can speak to her about all of the court stuff. It will work out in my favor I think. I hope.

"I will go home with you Elizabeth until my parents come home" I said slowly.

The nurse took that as a cue to start taking the IVs out of me.

Elizabeth walked out of the room to pull the car up and tell my siblings what was happening. Hayes followed Elizabeth out, without saying another word.
I liked the sound of quietness. It sounded and felt good.