Chapter 15

I guess word travels fast that I messed with Abby's man. I went through the rest of the school day being called names and told to do horrible things.
"Slut"
"You skank"
"Go die"
"Slutty whore"
"How about you kill your self, it's not like anyone cares"
"Go back to Orlando, wait they didn't like you there either, did they?"

I didn't realize life could be so bad. Everytime I heard one of those sour names or horrible comments tears welled up in my eyes. Since Abby was the principle's daughter nothing would be done about what she did. Frankly I'm glad about that. I rather not make her hate me more because I ratted her out. She's already ruined my life here not like she can do anything worse.

I was sitting in class watching the clock. One minute until school was over. One minute until I could go home and cry. One minute until I can leave this torture chamber. I couldn't wait to curl up in my room and cry.

Then the bell rung. I got out of my seat and quickly darted to the exit. As I walked out the door I looked at my missed messages.

Mom~ Hi, just telling you that dad and I won't be home for 2 or 3 nights. There is one hundred dollars on the counter in the kitchen for food. Take care of Sam. Love you

I didn't even respond. I couldn't. I just needed to leave school and that's what I was determined to do. I was walking as fast as I could down the hall when I heard someone shout my name. I recognized the low smokey voice. Hayes. I turned around to see his head bobbing up and down while he was walking towards me. He pulled me into a tight hug the second he got close to me.

"Hayes I'm okay" I said sadly. I wasn't okay I was lying.

"I know but I felt like you needed a hug" he said still holding on to me but now looking into my eyes.

"I wanted to know if you wanted to come over and hang out. I thought it might be better than being alone?" He asked.

"I don't know maybe I should go home with Ryan because my parents won't be home tonight." I replied.

"What ever you think is the best, I'm down with" he said reassuring me then pulling me back in for another hug. I hid my face in his chest and starting to think.

I wanted to be with Hayes but I also just wanted to go home to my bed. What I really wanted was parents who cared about me. Parents that I could tell them about my terrible day. Then to make me feel better they would take me out for ice cream and curl up on the couch and watch movies with me. Not a mom who turns away when she knows what's really happening. I want a dad who doesn't scold me because I don't look right today. I want a dad who congratulates me on the 99 percent I got on a test rather then punishing me because I didn't get a 100. I want parents who look at me for me, not parents who look past the real me and see me as someone else. They act as if making tiny mistakes is equivalent to committing murder. I thought the move would bring my family together as a whole. But now that I think about it we moved so we could drift away from each other. I already got a text from my mom saying that her and dad won't be home for a couple nights. She's leaving all the kids at home for Kaylie to take care of but really it will be Ryan and I. She put one hundred dollars on the counter for pizza but Kaylie will take that and buy drugs.

My family looks so perfect and happy. But it's just not the truth. We really are a broken family. Kaylie does drugs and my parents know but don't care. My dad is cheating on my mom and she's acting like it's not happening. Ryan, Sam and I are left home alone half of the time and we have to learn to defend off terrible life by our selfs. Tears started streaming down my face. I hate my life I hate everything about myself. Why can't I die? I guess Hayes heard me sniffling and pulled my chin up into his hand.

"Your coming home with me no matter what you say" he said trying to make me smile.

Somehow I managed to fog out the sound of the screaming, gossiping, name calling, and talking. When I looked down the hallway there wasn't a person in sight.

"Where did everyone go?" I asked very confused.

"Home" he replied.

Home. That's a word I've never really had. Home is somewhere you love being. It's somewhere you feel safe and loved. But when I'm at home I feel scared, abandoned, and sad.