Necklace

Characters in this chapter-
Queen Riniya-Elven Queen

*Nymeria's P.O.V*

I managed to get through a few more important laws that had to be signed into effect. Old laws had been put into place to protect the trade agreements but they had expired years ago. So now I had to rewrite them to apply to these trade agreements and then sign them into effect. However, all the legalese made my head hurt so after a bit I decided to read some mail.

It had already been opened and sorted through by some of my top guards. If there was anything in there that shouldn't have been, they would have found it. My mail was always diverted to them before it got to me. It was shame that most of my top guards were stationed on the borders of the kingdom most of the time. If I had more warning I would have recalled one of them when Castien left. I knew one was probably on their way back now since today was the original day that Castien was supposed to leave.

I could only read a few letters before the absolutely horrid things started to get to me. To make myself feel better, I picked up one of the letters and held the corner of it to the candle. It burned quickly and I watched the burned pieces of parchment fall onto my desk. I had the foresight to place my other papers farther away so that nothing else burned.

"Do you always place with fire?" Queen Riniya asked from the doorway. I turned my head to look at her with a small shrug.

"When I am particularly annoyed," I shrugged my shoulders.

"What is there to be annoyed with? I heard you just signed the contract so you must be happy about that," Queen Riniya asked.

"How do you know that?" I questioned.

"Magic," she said with a small flourish of her hands, seemingly holding something in her right hand. "But seriously, what has upset you, my dear?" she asked.

"Letters from the nobles," I shrugged. "I don't particularly appreciate being called names or having infertility wished on me so that my bloodline doesn't continue but it is what it is," I sighed.

"What a truly horrid thing to say. Give me a name, I can make sure another letter is never sent to you like that again," Queen Riniya offered simply.

"I knew what I was getting into the moment I took the throne," I shrugged my shoulders. "Wasn't exactly the first choice," I admitted.

"So I've heard. It was supposed to be your mother, wasn't it?" Queen Riniya asked as she perched on the edge of my desk. I still couldn't see what she was holding in her hand but I figured now was not the time to be nosey.

"Brother actually but Grandfather barred him from the throne, the bastard," I cursed.

"Your grandfather or brother?" Queen Riniya questioned. I was surprised she didn't say anything about my cursing but I wasn't going to complain.

"Grandfather, my brother was actually pretty nice when he wanted to be," I said simply.

"Hmm," Queen Riniya hummed softly. She held out what she was holding and I realized it was the tracking necklace that she had showed me a bit ago.

"You already showed me the necklace," I said simply.

"I'm not showing it to you my dear, I'm giving it to you to wear," she said. I flushed at being called her dear.

"Why?" I questioned as I hesitantly took it, fiddling with the clasp.

"Because you are now one of our own and we look after our own," Queen Riniya said simply. "Will you wear it?" she asked.

"Sure," I said after a moment as I undid the clasp and tried to put the necklace on. Queen Riniya moved to help me, her cool hand pressing against the back of my neck when she moved my hair to put the necklace on.

"Now this needs to stay on at all times if at all possible," she informed me once the necklace was in place. She moved to show me the silver bracelet she was wearing, a small emerald embedded into it. She tapped it and a small map-like thing appeared above the bracelet. Showing two dots on it, me and her.

"That's so cool," I said as I grabbed her hand, pulling it closer to examine the map.

"It's called a hologram," Queen Riniya said simply as she let me examine the map.

"How did you make it?" I questioned as I examined the bracelet. I noticed small engravings around the edge of it.

"Elven runes, a secret I'm afraid my dear," she said simply as she moved to rest her hand over my own. I smiled at her touch, trying to ignore how her words and affection made me so small.

"Not 'our dear," I muttered softly.

"You're not my dear?" Queen Riniya asked. I shook my head as I met her gaze, puffing out my cheeks when she just giggled at my serious face.

"Don't laugh," I huffed as I pushed her hand away, crossing my arms over my chest.

"You're just so cute though," Queen Riniya asked as she held out her arms. "Want cuddles?" she asked.

"'es," I responded as I climbed out of my chair, letting her lift me up onto her lap. I snuggled into her, nuzzling my face into her neck.

"Sweet girl, my angel," she hummed as she stood up. I clung to her, my arms wrapping around her neck as she boosted me onto her hip.

"Mama," I said happily. She cooed over me as she pressed a kiss to the top of my head.

"Such a cute baby, you are so darling," she bounced me slightly. She brushed the burned papers off my desk into my empty trashcan and then carried me out of the room.

"Want candy," I said softly as I looked up at her.

"Can you ask nicely?" she questioned as she looked down at me.

"Gimme," I said as I gestured with my free hand. She grabbed my hand and lifted my hand up, pressing a kiss to it.

"Since you asked so nicely," she smiled as she bounced me slightly while carrying me to the kitchens.