Panic

Characters in this chapter-
Witch Queen- Queen Elvira
Werewolf Queen- Queen Belladonna

*Nymeria's P.O.V*

I stalked off down the hall, not looking back even when Queen Elvira called my name several times. It was quite easy to ignore her if you learned to tune out yelling like I had in my childhood. I figured she would just want me to pick up the book and I didn't want to do that. She could do that, it was right at her feet so there was no reason I should have to pick it up.

I walked a bit before I realized I had ended up at the door to my private library. I took the key off the necklace I was wearing and unlocked it, stepping inside. I left the door cracked as I entered the circular room. I stood on a chair to look at the upper shelves, looking through my books to find something to read. I had read most of them, they were all boring politics stuff. Surprisingly even if you read books, if you didn't actually think about what you were reading you would learn nothing.

I heard someone clear their throat and I turned slightly to see Queen Belladonna. I huffed when I saw the contract book in her hand, turning back around to look at the bookshelves. I finally found one that sort of interested me since it was about history and that was the one thing I actually liked learning about.

I turned around, letting myself drop down into my chair. I squeaked slightly when I realized that Queen Belladonna was standing there. I crossed one leg over another, looking up at her with a small frown.

"Can I help you?" I asked with an innocent smile. I knew why she was there, I just didn't want to talk about it right now. Playing dumb usually worked for a little but I could tell that it wouldn't work with her.

"You were quite rude to Elvia a few moments ago," Queen Belladonna said simply as she leaned on the doorway.

"I don't recall being rude whatsoever," I said simply as I opened the book, looking down at the first page and starting to read it.

"You threw this book down at her feet and stalked off, that's not rude to you?" Queen Belladonna asked. I huffed at her interrupting my reading and got up.

"No, it's not rude," I said simply as I turned my back to her, heading to the window to try and read. Maybe if I put some more distance between us she would get the hint that I didn't want to talk with her.

"So it would be fine if I walked over to you right now and threw this book down at your feet?" Queen Belladonna questioned. I groaned as I just turned around to face her. If answering her made her go away then I would do that.

"I don't care," I didn't whine when I said that. I most certainly did not whine because it was not dignified of a Princess to whine.

"Nymeria, I am trying to have a serious conversation with you," Queen Belladonna said as she stepped farther into the room. I tucked my book against my chest as I tried to walk past her. She grabbed my wrist and I was forced to turn around from the sudden motion. It was oh so familiar to me and I felt my chest tighten as I looked into her eyes.

Anything she said went over my head as I felt the feeling in my chest tighten. It felt like something heavy had just sat on my chest and I tried to jerk my arm away from her. Her grip tightened slightly, nowhere near enough to hurt but just enough to keep a firm hold and I felt my breathing pick up. Whatever happened after that I couldn't say because my mind had gone blank as memories flashed in front of my eyes.

"How many fucking times have I told you not to walk away from me?" Mother asked as her grip tightened on my wrist. I had wanted to walk away, I didn't want to fight with her today. She had gripped my wrist so hard I felt something snap in my wrist.

"I don't know," I said quietly, staring her in the eyes. I never knew her mood. Sometimes she wanted eye contact, sometimes she didn't. I could never predict her mood.

"Too many fucking times for you to keep doing it," Mother said and I knew what was going to happen as soon as she raised her hand. I tried not to tense up, it would only make it hurt worse. Her hand slapped my face and my head snapped to the side.

When the memory ended, I was sitting in the floor. My cheeks were wet with tears and Queen Belladonna was kneeling in front of me. My ears were still ringing from the memory but slowly her voice filled my ears.

"Nymeria? Darling are you alright?" Queen Belladonna asked. My chest still felt heavy and it was like I was trying so hard to breathe but I just couldn't do it. It was like air wouldn't enter my lungs. "May I hold you darling?" Her question was quiet but I nodded my head.

Queen Belladonna moved around me, letting my head rest against her chest. Her breathing was slow and even. I could tell she was taking slower breaths in an attempt to get me to follow her breathing pattern. I couldn't do that though, I was just so worked up at the moment.

Queen Belladonna rocked me slightly, going to try and wrap her arms around me. I flinched away and she set them down. "That's okay darling, you let me know what you are okay with," she whispered.

I whimpered at her words as I pushed my face into her neck. I didn't want to talk, it was too hard. She wasn't supposed to be understanding. That was not how this was supposed to work. She was supposed to be mean and not be so understanding. This wasn't how it was supposed to go was all I could think as she kept rocking me slowly.