| 63| - Reunions

•• November 8, 2013 ••

Y/N and Violet sat on a bench on the side of one of the main roads at Joint Base Andrews. They could see some people walking along with a group playing basketball at one of the courts in the distance.

A bowl of grapes was between them. They enjoyed the fruit as they looked ahead, conversing as they have been the last few minutes.

"This place is so...lively." Violet remarked. "I never thought I'd see a place like this again."

Y/N nodded at his sister's statement. He picked another grape from the bowl and chewed it.

"I'm not going to lie. I wake up every day...amazed at the same thing."

"Being able to wake up to this? That's a dream."

"A dream you're able to live in now." He replied with a smile.

Violet smiled back before eating a couple of more grapes.

It still felt surreal for Y/N, to be able to see his sister again. Their initial reunion at the conference center was filled with tears and awe. Afterward, they ended up showing Kenny, Carley, and Violet the house they were going to stay in. Once that was done, the two siblings decided to take some time to catch up.

"So..." Y/N began, thinking of what to start with. He immediately thought of the other important person in his life. "Was—was mom...?"

Violet took a beat before shaking her head. Y/N saw her gesture and looked down in sadness, thinking she had died. Violet took notice and wanted to clear it up.

"I—I was on a retreat when shit got worse. Roads were blocked. Mass evacuations. I couldn't get back to Medina."

Y/N exhaled. That meant their mom might still be out there as they don't know her true fate. Still, it hurt thinking that if she was alive... they'd been away from her for so long.

Violet continued. "I was with a couple of classmates and a chaperone for some time. We ran into Kenny and his family. Ended up finding Carley too."

She popped another grape into her mouth. Violet shrugged as she chewed the fruit.

"In the end, it was just us three." She added.

Y/N fiddled with his fingers. "So you've lost people?"

Violet nodded. Y/N did so as well as he kept looking at his hands.

"Me too." He finally replied.

"How'd you get here all the way from UGA?" She questioned him. "That's damn near in the city. Must've been hectic."

"It was." Y/N said with a quick chuckle. "Tried getting out of the city. Shit went awry. I would've died if it wasn't for—"

Y/N paused for a moment as he recalled that fateful day. He swallowed as he kept touching his own hands.

"This guy, Theodore, saved me. We called him T-Dog. He drove me back to this group he was with. Was with them for a while. We moved out of the city, lost some people, including him. We met others..."