| 59 | - A New Beginning

•• November 7, 2013 ••

It's been a year and a half since the war ended.

You splash water on your face, letting yourself wake up a little bit more from your grogginess. This was the first time in while that you've slept in, the last time you remember doing so was before your final exams in high school.

That seems like centuries ago, but it's only been about 4 years.

You pick up a towel and wipe your face, and then dry your hands after, placing the towel back near the bowl.

Near the bowl on the dresser was a letter. You pick it up, and see that it's from Clementine.

Hey, sleepyhead. Thought'd it'd be best to let you sleep in. I went for a walk with AJ. Afterwards I'll be stopping by Christa's place.

- Clementine

You put the piece of paper back down, and look at the nearby picture frame.

It was a fairly recent picture of you, Clementine, and a year-and-a-half old AJ. Jesus gifted a working Polaroid camera to Aasim during his trip to the Hilltop a couple weeks ago, and he was more than welcome to take a "family" portrait of the three of you.

You smile, then open one of the drawers and take out your Baretta 92FS pistol. You holster it, and walk out of the room.

• •

There you stood, the 21-year-old leader of the Oasis, outside your house.

The Kid.

The man who took down Negan.

You look up and see the slight overcast, with light clouds covering the sun. Pretty normal October weather.

???: Morning, Y/N.

You look to your right and see your neighbor, Carlos, walking off his lawn. You remember him arriving to the Oasis with his daughter shortly after the war with the Saviors. It was nice to bring another doctor into the community.

You: Good morning, Carlos. Going somewhere too?

The both of you began walking down the sidewalk, exiting the cul-de-sac.

Carlos: Sarah went along with a friend to the recreation building not too long ago. Something about arts and crafts with kids, thought I'd check it out too.

Shel, one of your advisors, had organized an arts and crafts session for the kids at the Oasis. You had heard about it.

You: Hey, you might just get a nice painting to put on your fridge.

You and Carlos chuckled. The both of you made it out of the cul-de-sac.

Carlos: And you? Where you off too?

You: Gonna go stop by a friend's place. Clementine's probably there with our son.

Carlos nodded.

Carlos: Ain't it time for you to call her your...wife?

You didn't expect that question, and it caught you off guard. You give a nervous chuckle.