| 1 | Life Goes On

60 Days.

It's been that long since the outbreak began. You sit on the lawn chair and look on over the hill onto the quarry.

Those sixty days went by faster than expected. You feel like just yesterday you were unpacking your things at your dorm at UGA. You said goodbye to your parents and younger sister on the morning of the flight. You touched down hours later in the state of Georgia....new territory. No family or friends to be around with, it was going to be a whole new experience. Then, it all happened.

???: Hey, kid.

You look to your right and see Dale. The old man has just finished checking the engine of his R.V.

You: Hey, Dale. Everything alright with the R.V?

Dale: Sonuvabitch is still shot. Needs some parts or else it ain't going anywhere.

You nod.

Everybody at the camp was thankful for Dale. He was one of the few honest and good-hearted guys there. He was the first person to fully embrace you as one of them.

You: Have you heard from the others yet?

Dale: Radio is still a piece of trash. But they should be alright.

You were worried about the group that went into the city several hours ago. That group included Theodore Douglas, T-Dog as people would call him, who became a good friend of yours as the days went on. In fact, T-Dog is the very reason you are alive today....

••

With no real plan, you did what many other people did when the news broke of the infection. You went to the airport.

It was as packed as expected, probably 10 times more populated than a normal holiday weekend. 

You were stuck in traffic, waiting inside a bus on Roosevelt Highway. Everybody in the vehicle seemed on edge.

That's when everything went bad.

People already gave notice to the man in the middle seat who was slumped over. He had come in feeling ill and people paid no mind to it. They figured he just took a nap. Some time later, he had gotten up, but he wasn't the same.

The man growled and bit into the arm of a woman beside him. This caused her partner to jump up and assault them man, but to no avail. It became bloody very quickly.

Everybody started to leave the bus, and so did you. But the outside was no better than what had transpired inside.

People were in mass panic as they began leaving their cars and running from the same crazed maniacs like the man in the bus. The ones that took the risk and try to drive off did, even running over pedestrians in the process.

You began running. You ran as much as you could. The thought of your luggage being back on the bus didn't even cross your mind.

You then heard a growl beside you, and one of those same maniacs grabbed a hold of you. You struggle a bit and the maniac gets the upper hand by bringing you to the ground. But suddenly, two hands grabbed onto the maniac and pulled him off of you, throwing him to the ground.

???: I got you, brother!

You just looked at the African American man, and grabbed his hand as he helped you up.

???: Follow me!

You followed the man as the chaos on the highway ensued. You both reached a maroon colored van on the side of the road, where the man motioned to you to get in.