𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

COUPLES WERE DISGUSTING SOMETIMES

COUPLES WERE DISGUSTING SOMETIMES. Bree had to sit through ten minutes of Sarah and Topper being all cutesy during the car ride on the way to the party at the beach.

Once they arrived, the couple went off to do their own thing, leaving the Callaway girl by herself. It was then that she realized that every single person there that she knew was a Kook that was annoying as fuck.

She continued to scan the crowd until her eyes met those of JJ's, who was standing next to John B and Kie at the keg, handing out drinks. His face held an unreadable expression, but when he realized that she was staring back, he turned back to the people in line for a drink.

So, instead of finding someone to talk to, she just sat down on a nearby log and waited for someone to come to her. Usually, at these kind of things, some touron — visitor to the Outer Banks — came to talk to her in hopes of getting lucky, but then she blew him off once she got bored because she did, in fact, have a boyfriend.

"Can I interest you in a beverage?" asked a familiar voice from above her after a couple minutes of waiting, and she looked up to see JJ Maybank standing next to her holding two red SOLO cups.

"Yes please." She smiled with a small but eager nod, and he took it a a sign that he could sit down, handing her one of the cups. "Sarah and Topper were being all coupley in the car, and I'll do anything to forget to that."

The blonde boy scrunched up his face as if he were picturing the scene in his head. "Oh, that's disgusting. I'm sorry you had to witness that. My condolences."

"Thanks," the brunette girl laughed out, taking a sip of her drink. After a small moment of awkward silence, she broke it, changing the topic. "Did you guys find out anything else about the boat or the guy who owns it?"

"Oh, yeah. Scooter Grubbs showed up dead this morning. He was our during the storm last night," JJ blurted out casually, bringing his cup up to his lips like he didn't just drop a huge bomb on her.

Her eyes widened in shock, "What?"

"That's not even the crazy part," he informed her with a smirk. "Guess what kind of boat he had?"