𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐞𝐧

THERE WAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING THERE

They had searched the ruins of the ship with the drone at least three times, but there was no gold in sight, not even a flake. Nothing to prove that there had ever even been gold there. In fact, there was nothing but wood half-buried in the sand of the ocean floor. 

Bree's heart dropped along with her smile as she realized that there was no hope and that the gold wasn't there. She knew that she shouldn't have gotten her hopes up. She had just gotten so caught up in the hunt and adventure that she didn't think rationally, and now all of her hopes were crushed.

"It's not there. Look, just — just pull the drone up," John B told Pope when realization came to him as well. The Callaway girl realized that this must've hit him really hard because of everything with his dad. He leaned away from the monitor and muttered, "Shit."

As he paced to the other side of the boat and ran a hand through his hair, Pope, in an attempt to make him and the rest of the teenagers feel better, said, "Look, we can do another pass, recharge the battery. We can...We can go back down."

"We've been through it three times. There's nothing there," JJ yelled from the driver's seat, and they all glared at him for being his brutally honest self. Sometimes, he was helpful, but now was not the time to rub it in.

Kie shouted, "Shut up!"

"What? It's true!" the blonde boy pointed out what they were all thinking but none of them wanted to say, like saying it out loud would make it true.

The Carrera girl argued, glancing at the Routledge boy on the end of the vehicle that looked like he was about to punch something or someone. Bree felt so bad for him. He lost his father because of this stupid ship. "The gold could be buried. We don't know."

"If it was there, it would've been found on the metal detector, okay?" John B informed them, turning around to face his friends. "Somebody beat us to it."

"Or it was never there," JJ mumbled, and the brunette girl was the only one who heard it since she was closest to him. She would take off one of her shoes and hurl it at his head if she wasn't scared it would get blown away in the wind.