𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

"MOM, I AM NOT GOING TO MIDSUMMERS WITH RAFE

"MOM, I AM NOT GOING TO MIDSUMMERS WITH RAFE."  Bree must have told her mother that ten times in the days leading up to the event, but the woman did not seem to understand. 

Midsummers was this annual summer party that every single Kook was invited to. Everybody who was anybody was going to be there, and there were no Pogues allowed. It was literally the definition of Kooklandia, and it might be one of the worst things in the world. Bree will admit, she had fun in past years, but with all of the drama this year, it was going to be pretty bad.

"Why not?" Allison questioned. "You two were so cute."

The brunette girl sighed, running a hand through her hair before leaning back in her seat at the kitchen counter to look up at her mother frustratedly. "But we broke up."

"And you still won't tell me why," the older Callaway responded, propping herself up with one of her arms.

"He's a jerk," Bree answered, and it was not a complete lie because that was why she ultimately broke up with him, not just because he hit her with a golf club. The bruise was almost completely healed, so she would easily be able to cover it with makeup for Midsummers. "That's why."

Allison raised her eyebrows at her daughter, a little worried. She wasn't an idiot, and they both knew that. She knew that something else happened between the couple. "You wanna be a little more specific than that?"

"Nope, I'm good," the younger female replied, picking up an apple from the basket next to her and taking a chunk out of it in an attempt to get her mother to take the hint that she didn't want to talk about that.

The woman sighed, "You know, when your father and I were your age, we went through many off-and-on phases."

"Yeah, and how did that work out for you?" Bree spat out, but she regretted it immediately when she saw her mom's face fall. It was a low blow, and she knew it. They both hated it when either of them brought up her father. She apologized quickly, "I'm sorry, Mom. I didn't mean it."

Allison exhaled before nodding and looking her daughter in the eye. "I know. Just promise me that you'll have fun tonight and not be miserable the entire time."