𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

THE FIRE CRACKLED BEFORE THEM AS THEY SAT IN A CIRCLE AT RIXON'S COVE

THE FIRE CRACKLED BEFORE THEM AS THEY SAT IN A CIRCLE AT RIXON'S COVE. Apparently, John B had some big news to tell them, and that was why they called the mandatory meeting. 

"Hey, guys. So, like, my dad's already gonna kill me," Pope announced, trying to move the conversation along. "So, what's this mandatory meeting about?"

"Yeah, I am so dead when I get home," the Callaway girl agreed, remembering how furious her mother was when she saw her run off with the Pogues after Midsummers.

The Routledge boy shot finger guns at his best friend, and Bree glanced between them, confused. The blonde boy said, "Might as well tell him, man, before we're gaffed."

"You ready for this?" the brunette boy asked his friends, looking around at each of them.

He paused for dramatic effect, and when she realized that he wasn't going to continue unless someone answered him, Bree responded eagerly, "Yeah."

"So, the gold never went down with the Royal Merchant," he informed them.

"Oh, my God," the Heyward boy groaned while the rest of them other than JJ rolled their eyes. They thought he had given up on this adventure. "Here we go again with this."

JJ stopped him. "No. All right, wait. Hear him out, all right?"

"It's been here the whole time," the Routledge boy explained, and they could tell that he was trying to hold in his excitement. "It's on the island."

"Are you serious? Oh, my God," Kie asked with raised eyebrows, turning to him.

Pope was still not convinced, and Bree was also a little iffy herself. As much as she wanted to believe the gold was out there, she didn't want to feel the let down that she felt on the boat with the drone again. "I'd like to voice my skepticism."

"I'm sure you would, Pope," John B said, standing up and hopping up onto a log so that he was a lot taller than the rest of them. "But can I please present you with my evidence, sir?"

"Proceed," the Heyward nodded.

The brunette boy continued, pulling a folded piece of paper out of his backpack and holding it in front of them. "All right. So, in my backpack, I have a letter from Denmark Tanny?"