𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

THEY WERE ALL RIDING IN THE TWINKIE SO THAT POPE COULD TALK TO HIS MEE-MAW

THEY WERE ALL RIDING IN THE TWINKIE SO THAT POPE COULD TALK TO HIS MEE-MAW. After everything that had happened with Pope and his dad, they were invested in what the hell this Limbrey lady wanted with the key. It must be something big if she was willing to go to such length to get it.

"Guys, the thing that Limbrey said, I don't think she meant to let it slip," Pope told them as he sat in the back with all of the girls. He had this look on his face like he was thinking for a long time before he finally spoke. "She said the key leads to the Cross of Santo Domingo."

"Wait. Can I see that?" JJ questioned, reaching out for the key, and the Heyward boy handed it to him. The blonde boy began to examine it with Bree peeking over the seat to do the same.

Sarah furrowed her eyebrows, looking to Pope. "Are we supposed to know what that is?"

"I'm guessing it's some sort of historical artifact of great importance." he answered, and for some reason, Kie was the only one who thought to pull out her phone and look it up.

She scrolled for a second before informing them, "Well, according to the interwebs, it was a gift from New Spain to the Spanish king."

"New Spain? Is there an Old Spain?" the Maybank boy questioned, confused.

"Old Spain is Spain, and New Spain was where the Spanish settlers settled in North America," the brunette girl explained to him. She was not sure if she was correct, so she turned around to raise her eyebrows at Pope. "Right?"

He nodded, and he seemed impressed that she knew that. "Pretty much?"

"Nerds," JJ muttered, causing Bree to grab one of the hats on the floor of the vehicle — there were many left over the years — and whack him on the head with it.

"Shit, talk about over-gifting," the Carrera girl mumbled before holding out a picture on her phone for everyone else to see. "Look at that thing. Look at the person standing next to it."

The blonde boy concluded, "So it's a giant-ass cross."

"It was widely considered at the time to be the most extravagant tribute ever from the provinces. It was lost off the coast of Bermuda in 1829," the raven-haired girl explained to them, reading from a website on her phone.