Together Until We're Not Pt. 3

A Little Too Much - Shawn Mendes

~Nara's pov~

I stumbled and fell on my hands and knees on the porch steps as I landed, dispersing my wings in the process. "Damn it..." I cursed at myself, gritting my teeth and hating how weak I was acting. Kuro rose up from my shadow and carefully helped me up, a worried look on her wispy face. "Don't look at me like that. You know how much I hate this." I grumbled at her as she guided me inside the dorms. "Sorry, Nara. Where do you want to go?" She asked. "Showers. I feel disgusting, and just want to wash myself off before I hide in my room." I muttered. Kuro nodded and walked me to the girl's restroom.

"I'll go get you some clean clothes." Kuro said as she brought me to a shower stall. I nodded in thanks, and she waited for me to take off my clothes so she could take them with her. Once she zipped off, I stepped into the shower and turned the water on, flinching as the cold hit my body before the heat took over. As I let the water run down my whole body, I felt something become heavy around my neck and on my chest. I looked down and realized I forgot to take my feather necklace off, the leather string and two small feathers becoming heavy from soaking up the water. I reached around to unclasp it from around my neck, and just stared at it brokenly in my hands. I felt myself begin to cry again, the tears falling with the shower water as my body shook from my sobs. I leaned against the shower wall behind me and slid down, my knees pressed to my chest as I clutched the necklace close to my face. The feathers were lightly touching my forehead as I squeezed my eyes shut and cried, and the shower water poured down on my body.

I soon felt someone lightly touch my hands, and I looked up to see Kuro sadly gazing at me as she crouched down to my level. "Here, let me take this. I'll set it aside with your clothes." She offered. Honestly, I didn't want to let go of the necklace. I don't know why I even still wanted it, or how it survived when I was on fire earlier. Either way, I handed it to Kuro, my heart aching as I did even though Keigo's the one who hurt me. Why did I still want something from him after that?

Once she set the necklace down, Kuro came back and helped me off the ground. "Let me wash you. You're too tired and upset to do it, so I'll help you." She told me. I just nodded, giving up on hiding my weakness as I silently cried and stood there like a depressed statue. Kuro carefully washed my hair first, trying not to let the soap get in my face since I refused to lift my head. After rinsing me off, she gently lifted my head and rubbed soap on my face, trying to soothe me by massaging my face. Her gentle touch and kindness only made me cry more, and she hugged me and murmured words of reassurances in my ear to calm me.

Once I was calm enough to just be standing and feeling dead inside, Kuro washed the rest of my body. When she was done, she turned the water off and dried me with a towel. "I can do the rest." I said quietly to her once I was dry. Kuro paused before nodding, and she went back as my shadow after setting the towel down.

I slowly changed into the clothes she brought me - a black shirt and sweat pants with gray socks and a black pullover hoodie, just what I needed to feel comfortable. I grabbed my necklace and carried it in my hand as I walked out of the restroom, not ready to put it back on just yet. The thought of wearing it made my heart ache, and it was still soaking wet - I didn't want it to wet my clothes, so I planned on just holding onto it until it dried and I calmed down some more.

Despite not having lunch, I didn't feel like eating for the rest of the day. I just went to my room and curled up in my bed. I kinda wanted to close my curtains so I could sulk in the dark, but I felt like nothing could comfort me right now.

Papa was the first to come and check on me. As soon as the last class period ended, I heard everyone enter the dorms, which meant they ended class early. I couldn't hear what everyone was saying from downstairs, but after a moment passed, someone knocked on the door. "Nara, can I come in?" Papa asked, and I let out a hum in reply.